Cutting curved stones for kidney shaped patio?

I think that pic may be of pattern imprinted concrete, not actual slabs.

Sponsored Links
Whilst cutting flags with a curve is not to hard they don't follow a pattern around a curve well.

Usually when laying a curved edge on a flagged patio you would use a border of setts or similar.

Something like this WP_20160825_002.jpg

If however you also have a wall and are laying a raised patio the difficulty level and accuracy needed ate much higher.

Hi guys,

Really sorry for not replying sooner. I've been real busy and have not had a moment to respond.

Yes the picture is just an example. I've now understood how to do the curves, so what I would be grateful with is help in understanding how to create a curved patio on sloping ground.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from my own knowledge, I would need to build a retaining wall on the lower part of the slope, but then I need to kind of sink it into the ground as the slope rises. A bit like this:

17183d1378225124-slope-patio-retaining-wall-finished-patio-angle.jpg

Have I got this right?

Sponsored Links
Yes you build a wall but building a curved wall is more difficult. Brick will take a relatively tight curve but you will have to be very accurate when you lay your paving with a very flat consistant bedding thickness or it will look awful.

The easier option is to lay in blocks and concrete brick as that can be rendered tight up under your paving after the paving is laid.

Your photo shows dry stack retaining wall which can work and is very diy friendly. Quite high material cost but quick and easy to lay for a diyer.

As for actually building it you generally would ofetn if the sope is not too steep dig out the whole foundation to the lower level and simply bury the high side a little. If however the slope is severe you can used a stepped foundation.

Thanks buddy. I've already got a lot of concrete block walls which have been rendered, but this was one wall I would have preferred not to have rendered.

Can you please post a link or two showing me where I can purchase these dry blocks or whatever your talking about so that I can work out the cost?

Also sorry, but what do you mean by "but you will have to be very accurate when you lay your paving with a very flat consistant bedding thickness or it will look awful"???

If you use brick the brick will be exposed obviously. to make it look right you need a very consistant bedding thickness between your top brick and your paving slab. This is no problem until you consider that you must build the wall first.

So to build the wall to the correct height you must know the finished paving level at the house - your fall required for the paving. The finished paving level at the house is fixed because it determines your step height out of doors etc Also you will need to start laying your paving from the house side so by the time you get to the wall you need to be at exactly the right height to get the bedding thickness to on top of the brick as planned.

This is very straightforward to write and consider but more difficult to execute very well.

If you had render for example you could bluff it with a big thick bed if your were an inch off or so.

The dry stack walling is sold by tobermore but they are only available in Ireland scotland and northern england as far as i know. Secura and secura light
Also acheson glover do a few.

Not sure of mainland uk suppliers sorry.

Thank r896neo. I just want to clarify that this paving is not anywhere near the house. It's totally on the opposite end of the garden, approx 20 mtrs away from the house.

Unfortunately none of the recommended suppliers sell in UK Mainland.

oh well that makes it a bit easier.

Seach for mortarless retaining walls or dry stack retaining walls.

Thanks buddy. I have looked at mortarless walls, but being honest mate, they are out of my league with costs.

Truth is I already have a family member whom can build walls, so I would only need to provide him with the stone and a design and he'd be able to build a mortared wall for me for free.

Hi r896neo,

I just want to specially thank you for your excellent advice. After doing lots of other work, I am only now getting to the stage of creating the patio. Yesterday I have ordered Raj Green Indian Sandstone and hopefully it will be here sometime next week for me to make a start. I'm still trying to finish plenty of other jobs such as Garage Guttering, Fencing, so depending on when I get a chance, I'll soon get started with this patio.

Thanks again.

No worries, get yourself onto paving expert.com if you need advice with the paving or ask on here if you have any specific queries

I've already been checking out that website. I'm hoping now that I have a retaining wall, I can start from the wall and work my way upwards.

HELP! I've messed up!

Guys I was originally going to do the patio myself, but due to back injury I let a builder take over.

However, it didn't last long because I noticed the builder started taking shortcuts, such as spot-bedding. So stopped him when he had already completed approx 25% and since my back was feeling a bit better, I decided to continue.

My problem is regarding the pointing. He has already covered the paving slabs with wet pointing and after I completed another set of indian sandstone slabs, I used totally dry sand/cement mix brushed in, which was not squeezed in. I then sprinkled the loose mix with a fine mist of water spray.

This has not only left 2 dark/light colours due to his mix being different, but also my pointing isn't as solid (crumbling).

Is there any way to fix thesw issues please?

You will have to pull yours out and wet point it.

Are you sure his spots didn't knock down to a full bed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back