Cutting deck belts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The cutting deck of my tractor (Lawnflite 703) seems to have two differing belts specified for it, depending upon the year of manufacture, as near as I can tell, both years use the identical deck. My belt hasn't quite snapped yet, but it does need replacing soon.

The one specified for my older year, is a (shallow, wide) V belt.

The one specified for the later year is called an (equally shallow and wide) hexagonal belt. This being shaped like two back to back V belts.

The pulley is driven from the engine PTO pulley, to a cutter pulley, a sprung idler pulley, a 180 twist (in cross-section) then to the second cutter pulley, a second idler pulley, another reversed 180 twist and back to the engine. The 180 twist, allows the belt to present its flatter face to the idler and the v to the cutter pulley.

I cannot find a belt layout for the second version, but seems to me, with that version of belt installed, it would obviate the need for any twists in the belt at all, as it can drive the cutter pulleys from either side. I am wondering whether to risk order the later belt, or not?

Sponsored Links
Cost may be a deciding factor. If they are cheap enough, get one of each and try them out.
Or play safe and stick with the older year type.

The back to back vee belts are for those machines with counter rotating blades so the belt can drive on pulleys with that arrangement.
Go for kevlar reinforced belts if you can - often blue in colour.
John

The back to back vee belts are for those machines with counter rotating blades so the belt can drive on pulleys with that arrangement.
Go for kevlar reinforced belts if you can - often blue in colour.

These blades are counter rotating, which is why there has to be the 180 twist and untwist in the belt, so the V engages correctly in the cutter pulleys. It seems I could avoid the need to twist, if I could simply use the later belt type. Strangely, the later belt seems to be the cheaper of the two. Maybe try to find out the length of each, and see if they match?

Thanks, I did wonder why the back to back V design.

Cost may be a deciding factor. If they are cheap enough, get one of each and try them out.
Or play safe and stick with the older year type.

They are quite expensive, at around £60 each.

Sponsored Links
Idlers and tension pulleys for hex belt decks are “v“eed so if your v. belt one presses on the flat back it may not be suitable with hex belt , thats if Ive understood correctly what your contemplating

Idlers and tension pulleys for hex belt decks are “v“eed so if your v. belt one presses on the flat back it may not be suitable with hex belt , thats if Ive understood correctly what your contemplating

Good point - I will see if I can compare the part numbers for the idle/tension pulleys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 25

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back