Cutting down an existing door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have an odd scenario where I gutted all but one of the rooms in my upstairs, which included some new stud walls, all new door frames and much more. In hind sight I should have thought of this earlier, but because I hadn't tackled the one bedroom and we had family comign to stay with us so I was in a rush, I left the uprights and header of the door frame into the untouched bedroom too deep, I.e. deeper than the wall protruding into the bedroom, with the intention being to cut it back later.

I'm now at that stage, where the room is done and replastered and the frame needs to be cut back aproximates 12mm. I'm not as worried about the frame as a circular saw and hand saw for the corners should do the job.

What worries me is the stopper, which was nailed and glued in place. I'll need to cut this back a similar amount while it's in place. Any suggestions on how best to go about this. Guessing that a circular saw with the blade set exactly the thickness of the stopper would work where the saw can run, but I'll have the corners and bottom to cut some other way?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
if i am understanding this now it would be far easier to pad out the wall with say 12mm ply cut 2mm less than the width and filled flush or 6/9mm ply and no nails the correct thickness to come flush with the frame

Mmm, you got me thinking now Big-all. I see your logic of packing out the wall and leaving the frame, which would be much easier. The problem is the architrave would then be 12mm away from the wall (but packed). Side on it would look odd. Also the skirting board would not sit at the same level of the architrave, it would be 12mm shallower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back