Removing upstairs internal door frame

R

richard7761

I want to remove and re-use an internal door-frame in a house circa 1958. Now, it seems to me looking at things, that both sides of the frame at the bottom have simply been nailed down, to a joint, sitting underneath the floor board. The top parts of the frame are seen in the loft space and affixed somehow. It seems that when I dislodge the bottom half of the frame I'll be well on my way to it's removal.

Without damaging the bottom two ends of the door frame, how should I disconnect them from the flooring? What do folks do, put a saw under the frame ends and cut away hoping to saw away as little as possible from the ends? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like they have been spiked (dovetail nailed) into the floor below....any chance of getting in there with a hacksaw blade in a handle (padsaw)?
Any wood saw is going to have a hard time here!
John :)

I have one of those contraptions that will hold a hacksaw blade from one end. I'll use that. I'll get thru eventually.

Sponsored Links
A multitool is your friend here!

Is it an unusual sized frame? I can't see much worth in carefully removing it when new ones are so cheap. Carefully remove the architrave and re-use that for sure, but the frame?

You need to be careful. It sounds as if you have the type of door frame which has a groove in the back for 3" breeze blocks, so the frame holds the wall up! This type of construction was normal in the post war years, the first floor was built as one large room. The doorframes with grooves in the back were fitted from floor to ceiling by the chippies and then the brickies built the block walls.

You need to be careful. It sounds as if you have the type of door frame which has a groove in the back for 3" breeze blocks, so the frame holds the wall up! This type of construction was normal in the post war years, the first floor was built as one large room. The doorframes with grooves in the back were fitted from floor to ceiling by the chippies and then the brickies built the block walls.

You are right. However, In this particular door frame there is no wall either side, it's just for a door for the cylinder cupboard. So, when it's gone, there is no wall either side of the frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back