removing door stops .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, I need to change the direction an internal door opens . . .taking the frame out is not really an option as they were put in before the floor was layed and the two I'e removed already got fairly knackered . . .
so i need to remove the door stops - and the frame is one peice - ie/ the door sits into a rebate out of the frame.
any tips on how to sut off the door stops?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Door_1a.jpg

Add rebated fillets and resize the door on 3 sides:

Door_1b.jpg

Scrit

Scrit, would'nt you also put wider architraves on the outside of the frame to cover the joint and for appearances. ?
Either that or take off the existing archs and move them nearer to the edge of the casing.
Only problem with this is that you will probably have to make good plaster.

Sponsored Links
I would cut it with the hand, circular or jig saw, or chisel and plane. Then finish with the belt sander, and fit some plant on strips.

And everyone should consider doing this to toilet and small bathrooms if they open inwards, as many people are taken ill or collapse behind the door and you can't get in to help them.

the rebated fillets is a good idea - though I don't really want to narrow the door as its access to a utility room with the garden beyond . . . .
think I'll try the jig saw to get 'in there', then a hand saw, plane and sander . . . . .

thanks!

Huey

anobium said:
Scrit, would'nt you also put wider architraves on the outside of the frame to cover the joint and for appearances. ?
Either that or take off the existing archs and move them nearer to the edge of the casing.
Depending on circumstances/appearances, maybe yes. I'd also consider making a wider architrave to cover the inside, that way there would be no messing about with plasterwork, etc. What I wouldn't try to do is hack out and belt sand the existing door stop unless it was a planted on type as absolutely every attempt I've seen to do that has ended up looking like a dogs dinner. It is hard enough to work into a corner on the bench, requiring hand plane, bullnose plane, chisels, etc (not a ruddy jigsaw because the blade will probably bend in cut and screw-up the frame), but trying to do this in the vertical, or worse still upside down at above head height seems to be a ridiculous approach, as is the thought of attempting to use a belt sander upside down above one's head :rolleyes:

Scrit

Take out the door frame and if it's damaged then put in a new frame.

yep - taking the frame out would be the ideal - and I've taken out a couple already - its a 60s built block and so the buggers are nailed through sides and top with whopping great big nails into the breeze blocks - not too much of a problem, but also were put in before the concrete floor was layed and have a metel 'dowel' up the centre of the verticals - as i found out when trying to saw one off at floor level ... oops, bang goes my sharp handsaw. a new frame would be nice, but budget doesn't allow . . . .

ok my thought on this delicate task

scrits suggestion is the easiest cleanest for an amature

next comes removing and installing a new frame athough messy its the likly outcome if you tackle item 3 :D :D :D ;)

third option of removing wood as scrit says is fraught with problems :cry: :cry: :cry:

do you have enough room for the base plate of a circular or jigsaw to sit flat very unlikly !!!!!i am assuming its an ex ouside wall!!!
then youve got the jigsaw blade wander :rolleyes:
that leaves it down to a handsaw now not the easiest thing to use near the floor or the top

in my oppinion use the handsaw to cut the leggs into three parts and the head into 2 parts lever the parts out

sorry f.p. assumed you had basic tools; saw, hammer, chisel, tape, pencil,they are easy to knock up, a lot easier than cutting door stop resizing doors, refitting locks/handles/hinges.

there`s only 2 ways to do this job .1 scrits way(diagram)
2.new frame
hacking the frame with a saw,chisel,beltsander ect is a big NO NO,
It will look absolutely crap,trust me

or the 'third way' - attempt to saw through the frame at floor level, use a hacksaw blade to get through the metel 'dowel' - no doubt losing a heap of skin along the way. prise the sides of the frame inwardto hopefully expose giant nails that can be sawn off. yank the hell out of the frame to loosen top fixings - then plug and screw, or hammer nail or something it back in.

this i will try, as the frame i will not be an easy one to build . . it dates back to the sixties and is glazed above the door . . .

I'll let you know how I get one . .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back