Cutting down concrete gravel boards - I'm an idiot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of installing a fence using slotted concrete posts, standard fence panels, and a 12in concrete gravel board.

I've installed the posts at each end, and have just realised that I've made a miscalculation. My final cut-down panel will need to be 13.5 cm wide :oops: (I was expecting it to be much wider)

One option is to cut each panel down by 42cm, which will result in 4 equally sized panels, and will look acceptable.

I'm not concerned about cutting the wooden panels down, as I've done that loads in the past, but I've never cut a concrete gravel board down.

I figure a few diamond cutting discs on my small angle grinder will do the job, but I'm concerned about exposing the steel reinforced "re-bar". If I expose this don't I run the risk of it rusting and the boards falling apart? What are people's experiences of cutting concrete gravel boards down?

How far do the reinforcements run? If I cut 21cm off each end maybe I'll miss it!?

Or should I just bite the bullet and make up a stupid 13.5 cm panel. I suppose I'd still need to cut a board down, but at least it'd only be one.

Sponsored Links
I have cut them and 10-15 years later they are fine

You will need to have a slitting disc as well to cut the steel.
If worried, dab the cut ends with something like bitumen or scrap paint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back