Cutting down my overhanging ivy etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I inherited a house and have been cleaning up the garden (Major clear up) I had an ivy which is in my garden and over growing a neighbours garden. So wanted rid of it so cut it at roots etc and started removing all over hanging neigbours. She complained and said I cannot remove as she liked it wanted it as in her garden. yet it is mine which I told her. While I have been away from the property My tree that over hangs her garden she has butchered / snapped off what over hangs hers without asking and just thrown over my garden can I have some advice as I have a next question to this episode.

Thanks Pete

Sponsored Links
It's your ivy - you can do what you want with it.

You neighbour is allowed to remove any overhanging branches that overhang the boundary line. Normally the neighbour should tell you about cutting anything back and by law they are not allowed to keep it as it will be classed as being stolen.

You can also try a website called: garden law.

Andy

That's what I told her at the time which she did not like hence cutting the tree while I was away from property. Can you tell me she has a tree in her garden which is large and over hangs my garden quite a bit I would like what over hangs removed as it cuts out the light hence why all the major garden work. (Lack of light in garden) Her tree over hangs coservatory roof.

What would I have to do can I write letter in her door to ask as she probably won't answer.

Sponsored Links
write a friendly letter explaining the problem
tell her that in the next few weeks you will be cutting back the tree to the boundary
ask if she would like the offcuts back
then say in the letter if i don't hear from you i will trim the tree on such and such a date and will neatly pile the branches by the fence without entering your [her]property

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back