Cutting down wooden sill profile to match existing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got a short section on an external conservatory sill that i need to replace and match up to the existing one.

The stuff that im finding in the local timber yards is a fair bit bigger so im wondering on how best to trim it down to the same cross section in order to match it with the existing sill.

Heres a sketch of the existing sill on the left vs one i found in the timber yard today on the right

Ripping it down and getting the overall depth are straight forward. Its more the getting height on the leading edge to match and how i would get the chamfered edge and the flat on top for the glazing bar to match up with the existing sill without ruining thw overall height.

Also will it be a problem if the drip chanel on the new sill is slightly wider than the existing one?
Ive got a decent circ saw, electric plane, belt sander and other hand tools to help do the job

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I would start afresh with a piece of 4 x 2 redwood, rip down to size the angled part with a circular saw and use a router (or the circular saw again) to create the groove, the rounding over can be done with a sander.

Blup

Thanks mate, dont know why i didnt think of trying it that way!

Works out a fair bit cheaper too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back