Tieing a new engineering brick pier into existing brickwork - issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Ive been using the answers from this forum for some time and its invaluable.

Q
I am to remove (done) a 400mm column of existing brickwork, internal wall but was previously external and is certainly load bearing, and replace with 330mm minimum of new engineering brick pier. The problem is that the engineer requires it to be bonded in and not furfixed. The issue is that the existing wall -of which I removed 400mm - is perpendicular to existing exterior walls, I cut it off flush to the walls which will remain and planned on cutting / mining 120mm x 3 bricks high cavities into which to place my teeth.

But:

On the right side of my cavities is a window, so they have no border on that side, just window frame, and on the left is what was left of an old flue which angled down into the room from above and has been removed with the void bricked up, so no brick bonding there either.

On the rear face of my cavities there is little or no bonding to external skin - its a double thickness, no cavity victorian wall. So basically once I had created my cavities the remaining segments of old brickwork fell down leaving me with a a full height (3m) and full depth -at least 150mm - vertical trench or one great big cavity.

in plan form the wall Im removing forms a T section rotated 90 degrees to the right, basically a perpendicular internal dividing wall.

So please help!

How do I tooth in to exoisting brickwork which no longer exists? I guess I could furfix or else create teeth by bonding into the external skin or perhaps by teething into the bricked up old flue to the left.

There are other iussues but one thing at a time!
D

Sponsored Links
That's all confusing and I'm not even drunk. Is there a drawing or something?

Ill try to get some photos up...

Imagine the corner of a room, you re looking at the rear wall and theres another room beyond that. The side wall is the outside of the house. All walls are double thickness. Ive removed a 400mm section, full height, from that rear wall - the bit which was adjacent to the side wall / corner.
And my cavities are in the side wall, except they basically all joined up so its the equivalent of that gap being extended by 150mm into the side wall.

Clear as mud right?

DSC09938.JPG
DSC09942.JPG
DSC09943.JPG
DSC09943.JPG

Sponsored Links
Hope that helps, you can see where I tried to cut in to make the cavities for teeth and the whole section fell away leaving the "broom cupboard"

whilst the engineer specifically ruled out furfix (and demanded bonded brickwork) it would seem to me that furfix was now the way to go in light of exposing the structure

I'm still not at all clear what is going on there. A simple plan sketch showing the wall and pier and what is going, staying and being added would be better.

In the meantime, piers supporting loads need to be bonded to walls so that the load is spread sideways and downwards along the wall. Furfix or other such ties don't do this.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate how bonding is better but in this case its really not going to be possible. There is nothing to tie in to. The load should be passed vertically down and that wall is bonded into the rest of the house. Its on the first floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back