Cutting ends of new loft floor joists

Why can't you cut it like this?

Hang on a sec. I've not drawn the image correctly. :(
GALLERY]

This is more like it. I forgot to draw the birdsmouth.

Sponsored Links
If you can shove the joist as far in as it can go, and cut to the angle of the roof, then assuming you still have about 4" of joist left vertically above the inner face of the wall plate, then that would be OK.

Remember that the shear stress at the ends of domestic floor joists is usually small. Also, because it is in a loft, your joists will not be carrying the full domestic loading of 30lbs/sq ft over the whole span. The logic of this is that you can't get heavy loads such as wardrobes etc down into the restricted space at the eaves. I would assume normal loft loading of around 6 lbs.sq ft for about 2 - 3 feet out from the eaves. This further reduces your load, and hence shear stress, considerably.

If you can shove the joist as far in as it can go, and cut to the angle of the roof, then assuming you still have about 4" of joist left vertically above the inner face of the wall plate, then that would be OK.

Remember that the shear stress at the ends of domestic floor joists is usually small. Also, because it is in a loft, your joists will not be carrying the full domestic loading of 30lbs/sq ft over the whole span. The logic of this is that you can't get heavy loads such as wardrobes etc down into the restricted space at the eaves. I would assume normal loft loading of around 6 lbs.sq ft for about 2 - 3 feet out from the eaves. This further reduces your load, and hence shear stress, considerably.

Thanks Tony, do you have any documentation or anything which can support that because I want to have some sort of explaination to show if the council get involved at some point. Antony

Sponsored Links
Antony,

If you've got a shear area of 100x50mm (vertical height X width), you've got an area of 5000 square millimetres for shear.

Taking C16 giving an allowable stress of 0.67N/mm2 and multiplying by 1.1 load sharing factor to give 0.737N/mm2, this gives you an allowable shear load of 5000x0.737x10^-3 = 3.685kN per joist.

Assuming a dead load of 0.6kN/m2 and an imposed of 1.5, conservatively along the full length of the joist, and assuming 450mm spacings, this gives an applied load of: (0.6+1.5)*0.45 = 0.945kN/m.

3.685 / 0.945 = 3.9m. This means you can have a joist 7.8m long (3.9m of load to each end of the joist) and you still won't exceed the allowable shear load. Obviously your joists will be significantly shorter than this.

In summary, it's unlikely that any sensible BCO would question the detail, but if he does, the calc you need is above :D

@OP - damn, he's beaten me to it as usual :LOL:

Go with those figures and you won't go wrong - just keep fingers crossed you don't get a dim inspector!

Antony,

If you've got a shear area of 100x50mm (vertical height X width), you've got an area of 5000 square millimetres for shear.

Taking C16 giving an allowable stress of 0.67N/mm2 and multiplying by 1.1 load sharing factor to give 0.737N/mm2, this gives you an allowable shear load of 5000x0.737x10^-3 = 3.685kN per joist.

Assuming a dead load of 0.6kN/m2 and an imposed of 1.5, conservatively along the full length of the joist, and assuming 450mm spacings, this gives an applied load of: (0.6+1.5)*0.45 = 0.945kN/m.

3.685 / 0.945 = 3.9m. This means you can have a joist 7.8m long (3.9m of load to each end of the joist) and you still won't exceed the allowable shear load. Obviously your joists will be significantly shorter than this.

In summary, it's unlikely that any sensible BCO would question the detail, but if he does, the calc you need is above :D

Thanks!!!

So I may not need to drop the ceiling then or even need joist hangers?

I'm going to make a proper plan to scale..

So I may not need to drop the ceiling then or even need joist hangers?

We kept trying to tell you that! :LOL:

I know you did but I'm hesistant as builders umm and arrr and the council are the same... I'm going to get a proper to scale plan and I'll see... No use messing about without having the exact measurements, etc. I can see that this is more precise than I originally thought.

:D

The problem you have with your proposal is that you are planning to take load from the roof onto the floor joists, which means the shear load will increase significantly.

A better option may be to beef up the central purlins to take the load from the rafters once the struts have been removed.

To be honest, it's not something you should be doing without input from an SE (and I don't just mean on a forum), and building control will expect to see calcs that prove the new structure works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back