Cutting floor boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if bit of a novice question.

Whats the best way of cutting an old pine floor board lengthways.

Jigsaw?

Thanks

jf

Sponsored Links
parralel cut circular saw

if its off the ground screw a 2x2" batton on the back clamp in your workmate jaws 10mm up and use the fence
set the blade for the same depth as the wood +2mm
repositioning the batton and work as required

you can also use a table saw if you have one

jigsaws give a very unsatisfactory line

Thanks,

I don't have one of those :(

What would I expect to pay for a half decent one. They seem to vary from £30 to a couple of hundered... (how can I convince the missus :rolleyes: )

Or find a mate who has one i guess.

I don't think you have to pay lots for a circular saw. I bought mine from b&q (Maxworks) It was pretty cheap and I've used it regularly for several years now.

Sponsored Links
If it's just a few a normal handsaw will do, the more teeth per inch the better. You can get handsaws for floorboards, they are called floorboard saws for some bizarre reason ;)

Not really bizzare,they have a curved end on the blade for cutting along the tongues on t/g floorboards,hence the name. ;)

I have just one or two to do so bizzare or not floorboard saw it is for time being... probably a lot of elbow action though zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ;)

i would personally use a circular saw,as i havent a tble saw yet but you can cut floorboards quiet easily using a hand saw,providing its a rip saw,like a stanley jet cut for example. remember that whilst your cutting just cut along the pencil line,leaving the line on the cut you need.thus allowing to plane to fit

cheers
paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back