Cutting floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had lots of trouble trying to cut floor tiles 12" x 12" 8mm thick, loads of busted tiles and it's a right pain in the arse.
I'm using a Ruby ts60 plus with the 10mm wheel and tapping the back of the tile with a pin hammer after scoring.
Wet cutter is not an option.
Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
I have a rubi ts 50plus and it will cut that no problem. Are you trying to cut a small piece?

no, straightforward cuts.
do i score the back, will that help?

No, score the tile and snap it. Don't bother with a pin hammer unless it's a diagonal cut.

Sponsored Links
amongst other methods i tried scoring with 10mm wheel and pulled the breaking lever in the normal way, it never looked like it was going to snap cleanly and it didn't consistantly. the ruby is brand new and the surfaces of it are clean free of bits.

The only way I can get a clean cut is to dig in with the wheel back and forth 5 or 6 times and pin hammer it, which is hit and miss,

do i score it firm or light? does it help if i score it starting from the side of the tile?

You should only score it once and you don't have to put much pressure on it. Make sure you go from edge to edge of the tile.

will it help if I hold the back of the tile down flat when snapping it?

I've had to cut some of these buggers the whole length on a wet saw and it looks poor because I've had to free hand it. Is there any way to guide large tiles on a wet cutter?

Your help would be most appreciated

The tiles are 17" x 17", not 12" x 12" as i said before and they are porcelain. I completed the job today, unfortunately the finish is so poor it looks like abu hamza did it and it could have been a nice earner had I got it right.
I think I've used the wrong cutting wheel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back