Cutting hole in steel sheet

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I need to cut a 105mm round hole in the back of a cooker hood.

(This is because the maker, who use to provide a top hole and a back hole to suit the whim of the householder, has discontinued the back hole in the one I want, and the duct in the kitchen wall means I would have to mount the hood too low if I used an elbow out of the top).

I have in mind something like the hole saw I use for cutting pipe-holes in kitchen cabinets, but it is rather a large hole, and in thin steel sheet, which I am not used to.

I have got a Dremel-like tool I could use to smooth the edges.

Any suggs? Tin opener? Hacksaw?

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd try chain drilling, I think, after first scribing the hole with spring dividers......maybe using a 3mm jobber drill or similar. You could then finish off with a file or your Dremel.
John :)

Could you clamp/screw/bolt a piece of wood either side of it? If so then just use a jigsaw. If the material is as thin as you make it sound, then a jigsaw will be no good at all alone. Similar problem with a holesaw for very thin stuff, it'll just rattle, vibrate, not cut properly, snag and annoy the heck out of you.

A hand nibbler perhaps?

Gaz :)

I've known hand-held HSS drills polish the surface of metal without cutting into it. Would punching it first fix that?

I have got a small drill press but I don't think I could clamp the hood under it.

Sponsored Links
As the tip of an HSS drill is actually flat, a centre punch mark makes starting the hole much easier.
Stainless can be a bit tougher than mild steel, but a good drill will go through without any bother.
Best if you can support the material with timber as you drill, of course and a spray of WD 40 helps too.
John :)

Make sure the thing still works if you cut a back hole. Most I've fitted lately don't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back