Cutting in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got the Girlfriend moving in next week and would you believe it...she doesn't like my decor, so i sense some forced painting and decorating coming on :rolleyes:

I've painted quite a few rooms before and my main problem is always the cutting in :oops: i just can't get a neat finish, last time i tried masking off the gloss work, but when i peeled off the tape, it brought some of the fresh (dry) gloss with it!!

Just want a few tips if that's possible?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The pro way to do a room is to do ceiling> then walls. Gloss should be done last= no masking. If say doing skirting gloss.. Dip brush third of way into pot, tap brush on side of pot to remove exess paint, lay tip of brush onto skirting to wall edge gently without pressing tooooo hard then draw brush along just slightly away from wall edge, carry on for about 12"in one stroke then, without any more paint on brush go along the same route, notice the paint from first stroke will collect on brush and flow into the wall edge. Takes practice and can't expain it any better (even with a few stella's :LOL:) But a well worn brush will be better for cutting in than a new brush.
Good luck...

Don't use a brush that's too small, as it dosen't load enough paint for a long, steady run along your edges. I have a "favourite" brush I use for nothing else - it's a big fat 2-inch job, and works wonders. Always use good quality natural bristles - if you ever see a synthetic brush, throw it away.

I remember the M-i-L "helping" to cut in some gloss on skirtings once - f-in hilarious.... she couldn't understand how I got such a neat job with "that big fat brush", as she preferred a small brush for "detail work". Well, she did it with a tiny tiny artists squirrel brush like what you'd use to paint pinheads. Took her about 4 hours to do 1m, and it looked like sh!te. Meanwhile, I'd done the other 20m of skirtings, the doorframes and was enjoying my third beer in the sun. Brilliant.

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
I use a "window frame brush", that always works for me as it is slanted so you can get a better edge on the skirting board etc.

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back