Cutting into a rendered frame around fireplace... how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had my fireplace openings resized and refinished ahead of having new hearths and a log stove installed. The chap who resized the openings created a neat finish by adding a small rendered 'frame' around the inside of the opening.

The hearth company have visited and advised that we cut into this frame either side of the opening at the bottom so the (single piece) polished concrete hearths I'm having made can slot into the opening and sit flush with the internal brickwork. If we leave as is, there will be a gap between the hearth and brickwork on the inside. It can be filled with a matching grout but won't look as good.

It's difficult to explain so here's some photos...

This is how the openings currently look:

IMG_1412.jpg

This is a mock-up of what we need to end up with:

IMG_1412[4].jpg

And we need to repeat this either side of the opening on 2 x fireplaces:

IMG_1456[4].jpg

Is this something i should attempt myself, if so how do i cut neatly into this render?

I'd prefer to get someone in but what trade would look after this.... brickie? plasterer? Unfortunately the chap who started these openings is away now till Autumn and i need this doing in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can attempt it, if you have say a dremmel?

Or an angle grinder with a stone cutting disc attached, just with this option you'd need all windows in that room, and a dust mask. Or someone with a vacuum nozzle pointed at the area where the dust flies off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 312
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 327
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 332
Unfortunately i have neither a dremmel or an angle grinder and have never used either before! :/

It seems like such a small job to have someone over to do though... will anyone even take the job on? And who should i approach, a plasterer?

Sponsored Links
Go to your local builders merchants and ask the lads in there who they would recommend to do the job. They see and serve builders all day, they should be able to put you on to some one.

Just buy an angle grinder and get on with it. You can't own a house without one.

If you have a "rendered frame" as in a wood frame thats been rendered over then use a hack saw to cut the notches - this will save your metal corner bead from spelching as it might if an angle cutter was used.

Hack saw the horizontal cuts back to the brickwork - then plumb down a line and cut the plumb line with a stanley knife - cut thro the plaster to the wood - knock off the plaster and chisel off the small section of wood.

Allow a few mm's for ease of sliding in the hearth.

If you have a "rendered frame" as in a wood frame thats been rendered over then use a hack saw to cut the notches.

There is no wood frame, it was formed as part of the prep work on the fireplace openings by our stove fitter and has to be non-flammable.

This internal 'lip' around the opening is cement render on top of metal lath. You can see it a little clearer here:

IMG_1457.JPG

Do you think i should attempt it myself using a hacksaw (to cut through mesh) and chisel (to release concrete from brickwork)?

Tap the render gently with a hammer and see if it sounds hollow, It looks like it's not "keyed " to the wall. I maybe wrong so tap it very gently. It would still be better to grind it off with a grinder. If its "Boxy" and you use a hammer and chisel then you might loosen the lot. This is worse case scenario so don't be too worried, it is probably ok..

Get yourself a grinder with a diamond disc. They are cheap enough. Just do it. Stop waffling around.

A hacksaw will work for cutting the solid, rounded corner.
The render can then be lightly knocked off with a hammer and chisel.
Snips can be used to snip the strands of mesh.

Dont go buying tools that you might never use again - esp. a tool such as an Angle Grinder that could hurt you given your inexperience.

Everyone needs an angle grinder. The Queen has a Bosch.

They say she uses Crown paints too Joe, she also uses her "roller". ,,,, not the car though, just a paint roller. :))

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back