Cutting into sewer 6" pipe

Sponsored Links
1. Yes, thats fine.

2. Let the grinder do the work, allow it to drop thro the cuts.

3. Dont try to cut the whole circumference in one go - cut to your marks and then open up a pocket, or window, for the tool to get in and nibble away.

4. Use an RCD fixed outlet or an RCD adaptor.

5. wear gloves and glasses.

6. All wet appliances, WC's & taps to be off/out of bounds.

7. Have every single required item there by the hole before work starts.

8. Cutting in a new WC starts at the new pan position, & all new pipework must be fitted and trenched out to the new join with the 6" sewer before any actual 6" pipe cutting takes place.

9. Have an emergency plan.

Thanks for info. I was going to do the connection first and then fit the stack to the junction. Is this a very bad way of doing things then ?

Are you putting an inspection chamber in or just connecting with a T-junction?

Sponsored Links
Good point - my reading of "adding a new connection" was just that, but i didn't know!

Its not "a very bad way" but you will have more control if you bump into a "now what" situation.

We, typically, drop a plumb line for the stack rest bend inlet, & then trench to the connection.

Now you mention a new soil stack? Is this a totally new position for the S&VP? Draining two WC's?

Are you abandoning, or dropping, an old CI S&VP?

If you think it worthwhile, perhaps post a diagram & pics of your situation and proposal.

It is a new toilet stack at the front of the house. The rear one is still there working. I am moving the bathroom to the front of the house you see. So only one toilet will go into this, plus bath and sink.

I will get it all dug out first and then get the stack in place. I feel confident i can do it and will cut the pipe in sections (top first) so i can then cut easier on the underside.

best thing to do is too start from the WC core drill the hole then mark out the pipe with chalk line to see it it will all sit right have building regs told you what they want?

then dig the pipe out and join it all up dont matter if you start from top to bottom or bottom to top but regs will want to see it all first before closing it up

you know about joining upto 6" pipe you need a 4" stack pipe etc rodding ees

Yes Bc are watching it, but they dont need to see the connection as water comp is checking that. Soil stack is very close to the cut in the sewer so all ok for connecting.

I have bought my 6" clay pipe today with a 4" tee off. Got my 3 flexi couplers so all good to go. Dont need any extra pvc pipe on the main sewer.

Only need a rodding tee at the bottom of the stack.

Only worry is the cutting of the pipe. Fingers crossed.

dig all round it as much as you can use a 4" cutter take your time chill its not a race

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back