Joining to existing clay pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put a new drain/gully in as part of my patio job. The pics attached are the pipe that goes to the main rain water drain out the front of the house. At its widest point it is butted right up against the brickwork. I am wondering if I would be best cutting the pipe behind the widest point and putting a flexible coupler on it to attach to the gully via a small piece of pipe, depending on where the gully is placed.

I’ve got a 9” grinder for cutting gravel boards, will that do the job or would I be better off getting a stone disc for a 4” grinder and taking it off bit by bit due to the limited access?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• iOS Image - 2497865995.jpg
    iOS Image - 2497865995.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 267
  • iOS Image - 3402987015.jpg
    iOS Image - 3402987015.jpg
    662.4 KB · Views: 288
Sponsored Links
You right cutting it behind the big bit (the collar). If you cut a slash in the pipe as far round it as you can, you should be able to put a screwdriver in the slash and crack it off cleanly.

We cut as much as we can through with the 9" fella. Then remove that cut by going in with the grinder from the edge of the pipe in. You can then access the rest of the pipe with the grinder, through the material you have removed.

Ians' method does work but is risky.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
We cut as much as we can through with the 9" fella. Then remove that cut by going in with the grinder from the edge of the pipe in. You can then access the rest of the pipe with the grinder, through the material you have removed.

Ians' method does work but is risky.

Yes, at work I use a 4” grinder with no guard, cut a window then sink it through. I wouldn’t recommend any does that though.

first clearin all cover well back behind the hub socket to allow a 9" grinder free access.
lightly tunneling out below a heavy slab is sometimes better than choppin the slab back.

then cuttin slices from the hub with whatever size grinder fits.

then cleanin up the rough pipe to take whatever connection.

ive never heard of prisin open a cut - could be bad news if the pipe split back into a commercial conc foundation - or even a residential brickwork foundation. esp if the trench is soaked with sewage an its rainin

I need to put a new drain/gully in as part of my patio job. The pics attached are the pipe that goes to the main rain water drain

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Mc Alpine DC 1 is fine for rainwater

If just for rainwater, fit a McAlpine DC-1 into the collar, run off that with plastic, and lump a bit of concrete around the joint to hold it all together.

Edit, Nige has beaten me to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back