Cutting Kitchen Cupboards Round Pipes!?!?!?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We are currently in the process of designing our kitchen around the obstacles we found removing the old one, we haven't as yet decided on where to get it though. The problem at the moment is that in the old kitchen there was a batten fitted to the back of the hob and oven unit to compensate for the gas and central heating pipes behind. I am under the impression that at the back of kitchen units there is a couple of inches between the wall and the rear of the cupboard to compensate for things such as this? Is this gap standard (ie: would it be the same gap in a cupboard from IKEA and MFI??). I have asked in the shops but got different and vague answers wherever I went?

Thanks very much for any help!

Sponsored Links
most units have a gap at the back to cater for this, but ikea being ikea means that ikea kitchen units are different. Personally, i wouldn't touch an ikea kitchen with a barge pole attached to long stick.

If the pipes are within a few inches of the floor, they are likely to be below the bottom of the cabinet (apart from the very cheapest, all cabinets these days have "legs" that you can screw up and down to adjust height, it also makes it easier to clean under the cabinets, and prevents moisture from getting into them.

Usually the back panel of a cabinet is spaced a lttle way in from the edges of the side walls, so you can cut notches in the side walls for pipes and cables.

Sponsored Links
hi.

most kitchen company's have a service void at the back of base unit's this is usually anything between 25mm-80mm.

Wall unit's either come with no service void or at most 20mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back