Kitchen fitting help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting a new kitchen for my mother....

Took the old out kitchen and bought new kitchen using similar design.
Just discovered the boiler in the kitchen is deeper than a wall cupboard by 25mm
We had not noticed on the old kitchen cupboard was deeper than a standard cupboard so it fitted around the boiler

I am thinking the only thing I can do is make an end panel to the boiler cupboard so it is 25mm deeper. ?

Next to that on the left will be a filler panel followed by a wine rack next to the corner unit.

Not sure what to do really but wondered if I should
a. Put the filler panel in flush with the boiler cupboard and then drop the wine rack back to the wall

b. Put the filler panel and wine rack back to the wall the boiler cupboard just stick out a little.

C Put the filler panel in flush with the boiler cupboard and fit the wine rack and corner unit 25mm from the back wall. So basically put a 25mm thick batten on wall and fit cupboards to that.

However this would put all the base units out of line.
Or something else. ?

Will have cornice and pelmet on it.

Move the boiler…. Not really an option on my budget as fitting for my mother on a pension with myself paying for it.

View media item 42594
View media item 42615

Sponsored Links
I'd build the cupboards out from the wall as you suggest and if you are worried about the base units build them out from the wall too, I'm assuming it's only going to need it on the wall with the boiler on it.
You may need then to build out the whole wall for tiling but it's not a huge area so won't cost that much.
Or just live with a 25mm protruding boiler , it doesn't seem too big a deal if I'm honest.

You could bring out the boiler wall by 25mm with stud and plasterboard [shouldn't hinder boiler maintenance] and then all will be flush.

You could bring out the boiler wall by 25mm with stud and plasterboard [shouldn't hinder boiler maintenance] and then all will be flush.

unfortunately already had the kitchen skimmed ready to fit kitchen :(

I think I am going to have put the wall units on the left on 25mm battens.

I guess I cannot start the base units 25mm from the wall or the worktop will not fit but then wall and base cabinets will out of line.

Sponsored Links
Build the wall unit where the boiler is 25mm out and use a panel on the end that's showing (near cooker hood) to cover the unit and 25mm gap. On the base unit run, a 25mm infill panel (on the return of the base units)would bring the base units , back in line with the wall units. ;) ;) ;)

Build the wall unit where the boiler is 25mm out and use a panel on the end that's showing (near cooker hood) to cover the unit and 25mm gap. On the base unit run, a 25mm infill panel (on the return of the base units)would bring the base units , back in line with the wall units. ;) ;) ;)
I think he has a corner base unit?

I think he has a corner base unit?

Still not a problem for a pro though, no matter whether the corner unit runs into the corner from right to left (as we look at it) or runs into the corner away from our perspective (looking at the small mock up view, on the OP's first post) ;) ;)

Maybe I'm missing something here but surely that corner unit on the left of the drawing doesn't need building out from the wall except at its end, in effect it's moved an inch to its left.
I still think if the OP wants everything to be flush and in line he needs to follow foxhole plan to pack out the wall with plasterboard. In fact it's only above base unit height the plasterboard would be really needed anyway, below a couple of batterns would suffice.

Had already built the corner base unit up on Thursday night 'in the lounge' and then got there Saturday morning and Doh! Idiot! it will not fit through the door. :LOL: So managed to take that apart ( those glued dowels are strong!) and rebuilt in kitchen.

Got the the rest of the units built up and managed to build cupboard up for the boiler. Used the old side panel as a template for drill holes for dowel and cams on new colour matched panel.

A few units on the wall now.

Think going to stick with corner base unit in normal position and then put a small filler panel in next to it before next base unit down the run but not decided yet.

When I planned the kitchen I had not put a 'corner base unit' in but used two units and was going to put my own corner filler in. But the kitchen designer said to use a corner unit it will give you more room, I thought yes good idea and thanked him for it at the time! :oops:

View media item 42734A bit over engineered the fixing here, but better safe than sore head or worse! Cut a hole out of plasterboard below as new would be close to electrical cables. Checked and was ok, just.

View media item 42735Just need to get some iron on tape for cut edges, Will not see them but there will be steam from cooker near by.

I used self adhesive plastic angle on cut edges, as you say will not be visible.

Ahh, The corner unit was already made. "Corner unit" as in an L shaped unit. (finally the penny drops) I was thinking of something like a 1000mm unit with the corner post etc to turn it into a corner unit. Must admit, these l shaped units are fine, as long as the corner they fit into is square (and the walls are fairly flat across their length) ;) ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back