Cutting laminate worktop in situ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have to replace my hob fitted into a 5cm deep laminate worktop but it means resizing the cut out. I'd rather not see the kitchen dismantled as it's part of a U shape so could it be done in situ? I have a multitool, jigsaw and circular blade but not a router so could you recommend the best way of doing it to ensure the laminate doesn't get chipped? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Either use jigsaw upside down or buy a downcut blade for it, might struggle with 50mm worktop. Minor chipping will be hidden by hob overhang?

Thanks - yes, I'm banking on the hob overhang concealing any damage. Do you think a multitool would break through the laminate more neatly than a jigsaw?

TBH a multitool might struggle with 38/40mm thick worktop and you'll probsbly experience quite a bit of blade flexing. The noise and the time it will take is going to be a pain, too. If you are worried about break-out with a jigsaw, slow the speed down, reduce the orbit to zero (assuming yours is an orbital jigger) and use a very fine cut blade designed to cut laminates (e.g. Bosch T101BRF downcut from above or Bosch T308BOF from below, alhough they will work from abov with minimal chipping, etc - these are designed for laminated surfaces). Watch out that you are not cutting into the carcase or worktop where there is any ironmongery (clips, screws, metal dowels, etc)

Sponsored Links
How many mm overlap does the new hob have?

I did this for a new sink using a regular jigsaw blade and had no problems at all.
Maybe some laminates are more brittle than others.
Do some test cuts within the area that will be removed but not close to the edge and see what happens.

Thanks, I haven't bought the hob yet, I've been trying to get an identical one but it's discontinued. I'll look out for one with as big an overlap as possible and do as you say as regards testing. Thanks.

OP,
Pencil mark the cutting outline of the new hob.
Nick the pencil lines with a utility knife.
Tape over the pencil lines with a clear packaging tape - good quality 50mm or 75mm.
I've used various circular saw blades to then cut the laminate - 60 tooth is good TCT is also good.
Stay just inside the line.
Practice in the gash area before approaching the line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back