Cutting Length Of Worktop

Sponsored Links
You'd want a circ saw really, and you'd need a straight edge to use as a fence.

A jigsaw has to much bend in the blade and will look Ruddy awful

Yep, definitely a job for a circular saw. (y) As this is a laminate top you'll need to cut from the underside (in other words flip the worktop so that it is face down and do the cut from the unlaminated face) and you'll need a fine tooth blade (e.g. for a 165mm saw you'd need a 42 to 56 tooth blade, for a 184/190mm saw something like a 72 tooth blade) as opposed to the coarse tooth rip blade most saws seem to come supplied with when new. A good source of blades (if you get that far) is Saxton blades

Sponsored Links
Depends on how good a job you need.
I’d buy/ hire a tracksaw.

The saw is up to the job - the blade isn't. As I said you need to buy the proper blade for the job - a 190mm blade with a lot more teeth. Look at the Saxton web site

As you are cutting off the rear of the top finish isn’t that important as it won’t be seen .

Cheers. Yeah I mean by the time I buy the saw, the blade, a bench to cut it, will be £100. Might just ask a few joiners to see if they can do it as I’ll only be using the tools once

Would a fine tooth handsaw not do it?
Still prefer a circular saw, but, if you have time and inclination and didn't want to spend...

Yes it will. All depends on whether or not the back edge will be seen (i.e. thin ir no upstand vs. tiled backsplash). In which case cut is done from the laminate face side

This could work. It’s actually for a desk and will be hung with brackets in my office.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back