Cutting off hot water? Where!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cannot cut off the hot water supply and want to change the kitchen taps. The cold is no problem, but I cannot seem to stop the hot.

I have an indirect system, I have two more gate valves in the airing cupboard, one at the bottom of the hot water cylinder, one on a pipe running straight up to the loft (this valve is frozen, I think it is the cold water up to the water tank).

When I shut off the bottom valve, nothing noticable happens - do I have to shut this off and then drain the whole thing? Would the best approach be to turn off the cold main, then the bottom valve and let it run till empty? Do I have to stop the header tank (prop up the ballvalve or something)?

I'm tempted just to cut the hot water live and fit an isolation valve as it looks like the simplest option!

Sponsored Links
The 3/4 inch or 22mm diameter pipe which runs between the loft and the very bottom of the cylinder is the one to isolate.

I usually do hot taps by bunging the tank, which you may find difficult. If I can't be r sed I just run another hot tap, take the top off the hot tap I am wsorking on and change washer live, in a gravity situation this is perfectly manageable for someone who is familiar with the procedure.

You may prefer (IF THE GATE VALVE IS STUCK OR SHAFT BROKEN MORE LIKELY) to turn off stop cock and wait until no water flows from hot tap. Probably take 20 minutes.

Of course if a gate valve is broken we are on the whole obligated to renew it for the householder. Wherin it shan't ever be touched until many years ahead when it will break again when most needed. They are a load of rubbish, I try not to touch them. But they are a bluddy site better than ball valves.

Why dont you turn your boiler off to start with. Just in case you really do try cutting into it live as you put it.

If there isn't a valve to shut down the water supply from the main tank, then as you rightly said, tie up the ballcock with some string and a piece of wood.

Go to the cylinder and trace the hot water valve by tracing where the pipe exits from the top of the cylinder. Then turn it off.

Open all hot taps and hey presto, you should be able to start installing your new kitchen taps.

:D

Sponsored Links
u dont have to turn ur boiler off.

seems to me for you the best thing to do is tie up the ball valve in the loft on the larger tank..

run the hot water till no more comes out and change ur kitchen taps

untie the ball valve and job done (apart from the airlock that will follow ! :confused: )

Ok, thanks guys. I figured out the system in the end, and without draining a lot of it I couldn't shut off the feed to the taps ... bummer.

So I let it cool down a bit, cleaned up a nice piece of pipe, cut it and stuck and isolation valve in there, bit a spray, but over in 2 minutes (touch wood).

Hi there

I have a dripping kitchen tap, I've read the posts but I still can't switch off the hot water. I have attached two images of my boiler there seems to be no hot water valve coming out of the hot water pipes at the top.

The red wheel for the cold water pipe down the side of the tank when I switch it off doesn't switch off the hot water.

There is a tank in the loft, but I've never been close to it, I've only seen it from the other side of the loft. Is the next step to go up there?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks lots View media item 12816

This topic is six years old.

Turn off your mains cold water and run all the hot taps till empty. This will drain your tank and should take about 10 minutes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back