drain hot water tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
I am about to replace a cloakroom basin. I am unsure about how to cut off the hot water supply. I have a tank on the first floor, heated by the central heating boiler or an immersion heater. there is a gate valve from the attic tank to the bottom of the hot water tank, but no cut off from the top! Do I have to drain all the tank to stop the water or is there another way?
Kind regards
EV

Sponsored Links
No.
Just turn off the cold supply to the cylinder, open the hot taps and wait for them to stop running. If they keep going, the gate valve on the cold tank lets-by. Put a stopper (large cork) in the outlet from the tank instead.

Hi
Thanks for the speedy reply.
I,m not sure what you what you mean;

"if they keep going, the gate valve on the cold tank lets-by. Put a stopper
(large cork) in the outlet from the tank instead."
Kind regards

EV

just try the gate valve on the pipe that feeds the bottom of the hot water tank.....turn it off.

open hot water taps upstairs and downstairs and if the gate valve is working (sometimes overtime they seize etc) the hot water will stop after 10-30 secs

Sponsored Links
Hi Jamie
Thanks for the info. It works as you said. I will try and replace the basin and the toilet over the weekend............ I may need some extra advice later (hope not).
Kind regards

EV

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back