Cutting out brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the easiest way to cut away brickwork/plaster to install a socket box? It seems to take me forever chipping and drilling away and then trying to get the rear surface flat to install the box.

Or is it just one of those things that takes time and practice?

Sponsored Links
I usually draw the outline of the part I want to cut out on the wall with a pencil, mark the depth on a drill with some insulating tape and drill lots of holes to the correct depth along the line, then use an electrician's chisel to join them all up and then start chipping away at the centre, don't worry about getting the back too flat if you are having issues with this, just make it a touch deeper and bed the pattress on a little cement (remember to fasten it with screws as well though!)

I have purchased a single gang box cutter from Moorcut Direct Ltd Unit 22A, Orgreaves Crescent, Dore House Industrial Estate, Sheffield. 0114 2691666 It costs £60 and cutting a perfectly square hole takes less than 1 minute. All you need is the kit and a hammer drill with rotostop facility (hammer action but without rotation). I tested it at the weekend and was truely overwhelmed by it. It is outstanding and the best thing since sliced bread. They also do double box sinkers but the single one can be used twice to create a double box

Sponsored Links
what did you test it in?

the verdict i've generally seen regarding those sinkers is they are great in soft brick and the modern lightweight blocks but pretty terrible in solid concrete or engineering brick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back