How to replace damaged switch box?

Sponsored Links
Just to complete the tale, it turns out that the back of the mounting box goes straight through to the brickwork, at precisely the point where I'd like to make a screw hole into the box.
Im confused, why is it you cant drill the back of the box, thread it with the tool you brought, and either use a screw or screw the extension stud in

Sponsored Links
Im confused, why is it you cant drill the back of the box, thread it with the tool you brought, and either use a screw or screw the extension stud in
The problem with that is that you have to drill a tapping size hole in the metal and then continue back into the brick/block. Ideally the hole in the brick/block needs to be a good clearance. I know for some blocks (like thermalite) this would be no problem, but for the bricks in my house I wouldn't even think of trying it (they are 'kin hard even with a good TC tipped masonry bit).
The OP's idea seems a good one to me. Drill the box with a metal drill, then drill the brick/block with a masonry drill, then glue the adapter in place.

What about cutting down the corners of the replacement back box, fold the sides in a bit, put it in and then bend the sides back ? Pretty sure I've done that in the past

Or if trying to glue a stud in, just drill a 5mm hole in the wall, red plug and a 75mm screw.

Probably OK on everything but a socket

I suspect the OP is a bit like me - would consider that an unacceptable bodge, and my OCD would kick in once the screws weren't the same.

And the plugs I use (Rawl), 5mm drill is for yellow plugs, red plugs need a 6mm drill :p Pity there isn't a standard for that :rolleyes:

And the plugs I use (Rawl), 5mm drill is for yellow plugs, red plugs need a 6mm drill :p Pity there isn't a standard for that :rolleyes:
Buy Fisher ones - they are all the same colour, and on each one it tells you what size drill to use and what sizes of screws it is for.

Ah great, so instead of just picking up the right colour for what I want ... I've got to look at them, pick up what looks like the right size, and ten read the small print to see if I have indeed picked up the right one. I'll stick with my Rawl Uno plugs - I know where I am with those. Yellow for small, red for medium, blue for big, and brown for 'kin big that I don't use very often.

I think the idea is that you are efficient and organised and keep them all sorted in a compartmented box with labels or a plan so that you know which is which.

They are German, remember... :D

And think of the benefits - no more splodges of different colours across your walls.

Drill the box with a metal drill, then drill the brick/block with a masonry drill, then glue the adapter in place.

The OP could put a yellow plug in the wall and just screw the stud extension straight into the yellow plug. No waiting around for adhesives to set and easy to take out if needed.

Gaz :)

What about welding an extender onto the box, and having the wall plastered to take up the depth?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back