New switch/socket plate with old box- adaptor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, trying to change my surface mounted switches at home for sunken ones, removed a couple last night to find that there is old style round metal boxes insitu and I can't fit the new plastic boxes as can't remove old ones without damaging wall.

Is there such a thing as an adaptor that would screw into existing box but then have screw holes for fitting new plate (wider screw hole distance) whilst using old box..

Does that make sense?[/list]

Sponsored Links
Why can't you remove the old boxes? How are they fixed into the walls? Is there conduit screwed into them?

Why can't you remove the old boxes? How are they fixed into the walls? Is there conduit screwed into them?

Yeah seems to be screwed in by a bar from above and not enough room to twist out, walls just been papered so was hoping for some kind of adaptor plate, but every sparky I've spoken to said no such thing available.
Thought this would be relatively common.
Cavity wall if that helps.

In the past I have used
MKK2134.JPG
1 Gang Trunking Mounting Frame / 20mm Spacer.

Sponsored Links
Yeah seems to be screwed in by a bar from above and not enough room to twist out, walls just been papered so was hoping for some kind of adaptor plate, but every sparky I've spoken to said no such thing available.
If there are conduit boxes (presumably coming close to the surface of the wall) that you can't easily remove, I can't really see how there could possibly be any sort of 'adapter plate' that didn't protrude above the surface of the wall (which is the situation you were hoping to get rid of). What sort of thing did you think might exist?

Kind Regards, John

If there are conduit boxes (presumably coming close to the surface of the wall) that you can't easily remove, I can't really see how there could possibly be any sort of 'adapter plate' that didn't protrude above the surface of the wall (which is the situation you were hoping to get rid of). What sort of thing did you think might exist?

Kind Regards, John

Saw this on a prev thread. These look like what I have insitu

And was thinking with the use of some kind of plate adaptor similar to this

I could just put on new face plate and it would screw Into adaptor.

How much depth is there between the front of the conduit box and the wall surface? I'm guessing not enough to accommodate the internals of a switch, so you might as well just put a surface pattress over it. You can get wooden ones if that would be more appropriate.

But talking of appropriate - aren't round switches a proper period detail for the house?

If you do get rid of the round switches, then unless they're painted over, or damaged, don't bin them - try eBay. There are people who've moved into houses where the previous owner has done what you're planning to do who want to restore the round switches, and new ones are eye-wateringly expensive.

Hi, if the boxes are round cast iron, you are snookered ! If they are square cast iron with fixings inside the box for the old toggle switches, MK used to make a conversion bracket to enable replacing the older switches with new.

That was in the 80's !

Regards,

DS

Cheers everyone.

Yeah it is old round cast iron I believe so am going to see of there is enough room in front for space for back of new switch/cover and get my mate to try to make some kind of plate adaptor like I posted above.

Failing that I will just have to be careful with wires and maybe use my multi cutter to get old one out.

Failing that I will just have to be careful with wires and maybe use my multi cutter to get old one out.
You might find you can pull the wires out of the conduit while you cut through it.

Is it round, 20mm/¾" diameter, or smaller and oval?

Also, the Qs about what wiring is in there become very important. If the cables are singles then the conduit must be earthed, so cutting it away from the box might not be acceptable. If there's no earth wire the circuit may be using the conduit as an earth, so cutting it away from the box would make a rewire necessary. If the cable is rubber, then disturbing it could well destroy it, making a rewire necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back