Architrave blanking plates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've used metal architrave back boxes behind some wall lights for the connections, and I've got a blanking plate with a hole drilled though it for the cable supplying the lights.

The issue I have is that the screw holes in the blanking plate don't match with the lugs in the back box. They are about 5mm off both sides. The blanking plate is in fact almost exactly the same size as the metal back box, which doesn't seem right to me.

As I see it, I have 2 options:
1) drill through the back of the back box and use long screws. I don't like this as they are quite busy with wires, and I don't want to nick anything with a screw, and one of the screw holes lines up with the earth connectors in the back box.
2) rip out the metal back boxes, and sink a surface mounted plastic in the hole, which have the lugs in the same position as the blanking plates.

Does anyone have an option 3? Tried glueing the blanking plates on, but they keep moving before the glue sets.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The issue I have is that the screw holes in the blanking plate don't match with the lugs in the back box. They are about 5mm off both sides. The blanking plate is in fact almost exactly the same size as the metal back box, which doesn't seem right to me.
You seem to have somehow ended up with incompatible back boxes and blank plates. There is usually no problem, as these from my cellar show ...

upload_2019-7-21_19-8-53.png

Kind Regards, John

You seem to have somehow ended up with incompatible back boxes and blank plates. There is usually no problem, as these from my cellar show ...

View attachment 168153

Kind Regards, John
It seems that way! I didn't think that there were more than one size. Any suggestions? I reckon it's the back box that is the issue, and I don't really want to rip them out!

I think I would be tempted to plaster over the corners that are exposed.
I would do that, but the entire back box is exposed. I could reposition the light, but I'd worry I would hit the cable.

Granted, I need to think through my positioning in the future, and check that all my accessories are compatible!

It seems that way! I didn't think that there were more than one size.
Nor did I!
Any suggestions? I reckon it's the back box that is the issue, and I don't really want to rip them out!
Well, the ones in my photo will be bog standard 'off the shelf' ones, and will have been bought 'in recent years'. The distance between centres of the screws (and holes!) seems to be exactly 60mm - which of yours (box or plate ) is not 60mm?

Kind Regards, John

Box.

Plate is 60mm (which I expected as they were BG)

Box is 70mm, and a random (to me) brand

Edit, backbox is Click Scolmore. Probably not that random, but not a brand I've come across (which isn't saying that much to be honest!)

Box. .... Plate is 60mm (which I expected as they were BG) .... Box is 70mm, and a random (to me) brand
I suppose a well-known Law says that had to be the case. Sorry :)
Edit, backbox is Click Scolmore. Probably not that random, but not a brand I've come across (which isn't saying that much to be honest!)
It's a well-enough-known make. However, their products are generally 'modular', so maybe they had to make a larger than usual (hence 'non-standard') plate (hence also box) to accommodate the modules.

However, since Click are very much alive and well, I would think that you ought to be able to get hold of (presumably 70mm hole spacing) Click blank plates.

Kind Regards, John

Hi John, I've looked at the Click range, and I think the website I purchased from erroneously sold the back box as an architrave back box, when in reality it's part of a grid switch range. They have blanks, but for blanking off a grid switch, not like the style I (and you) have.

Unless there is an obvious alternative, I think the easiest solution would be to dig out what I have, and get a 60mm one.

Wil just have to wait until the wife isn't home so she doesn't see me butchering the freshly plastered and painted wall!

Thanks for the help John.

Hi John, I've looked at the Click range, and I think the website I purchased from erroneously sold the back box as an architrave back box, when in reality it's part of a grid switch range. They have blanks, but for blanking off a grid switch, not like the style I (and you) have.
If they do (approximately!) architrave-sized front plates for grid modules (I've no idea if they do!), then that plus a single-unit grid blank might achieve what you want.
Unless there is an obvious alternative, I think the easiest solution would be to dig out what I have, and get a 60mm one.
Maybe - at least it should not be too messy a job, in that you won't be having to make the whole bigger for the (slightly) smaller box!

Kind Regards, John

They don't seem to sell an architrave plate seperately but I belive you can buy one of their architrave switches, then unscrew the switch module and screw in a blank module.

CMA171 is the switch, MD008WH is the blank module.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back