Cutting out for new French doors - cavity closers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, happy new year !

I am shortly going to be cutting a hole through an external cavity wall to fit french doors replacing an existing window.

Before I start thought it was worth checking, the cuts in the inner and outer cavity should be inline with each other I take it ? For ease of fitting cavity closers ?

This is the plan View media item 87517
I haven't determined the exact height but as its a bungalow and there is a wall plate running the entire rear of the property plus I will be replacing the current wooden lintel with either a catnic or steel I can finalise that in due course.

Any comments ?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Cheers. BC are already in the loop do all good. Just waiting back on my LDC application to come back and I can also start on the loft :)

Just out of interest if it wasnt rendered would it make a difference ? The whole house is pebbledash but it will all be being knocked off and plain rendered if I get my way. You cn see on the right hand side the dashing has been badly patched in the past by a previous owner.

No the external finish is of little consequence unless it's an oddity like timber cladding but if it were brick for example then you'd be into making good to the new jamb so was just fishing to make sure we had all the necessary info. We like to do a thorough job here you know. :p

Lol thanks and indeed you do.
It's weird, I have no problem with plumbing ( replaced every rad and copper heating pipe in October and its leak free and silent since ), electrics no problem. I removed part of a load bearing wall to open up my kitchen and dining room all fairly easy and signed off by BC, I even plastered it up myself. However the French door install is the one bugging me the most, especially the lintel options !

Cats do indeed rule.

Personally (with a rendered outside) I would do my cuts back about 20-25mm from the edge to allow enough room for closers and plaster board.

I also hammer drill a series of small holes rather than disc cut, Its less messy and it gives a good rough surface to key your new render and plaster too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back