Cutting out of Joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,
I am levelling a floor ready to turn into bedroom .Used to be loft space of a bungalow .Joists are 3.5 m long and one end goes into the wall ,whilst the other ends rest on an RSJ.
To get them level I need to drop the end on the RSJ down about 1.75- 2 inches .Cant drop the Rsj down so is it safe to notch out the joist at the end by max 2 inches .
The joists are 7 x 3 inches ,to start with .

I am hoping this will be OK , as there is no alternative method ,other than lifting up the end in the wall ,but this makes my floor at two different levels .
The joists do not support the roof ,just the floor .Roof is supported by perlins and brickwork onto a seperate RSJ .

Any advice appreciated .
Many Thanks .
Rob.

Sponsored Links
noseall ,not sure what you mean there .
The joist needs to go lower as opposed to being lifted which would put it further out of level .It is right at the wallend ,but to high on the rsj .
Regards
Rob.

Would it be easier to pack under where the joist meets the wall. Can't be too much work to chisel some brick above the joist to allow room for some packers underneath?

Doh! Edit/ sorry just read the other bit of your post, the floor would be different levels

Sponsored Links
Yep thats the trouble neds .
I am hoping someone will say yes it should be fine as the joist in theory will still be a 5-5.5" by 3",which should be strong enough to support floor and bedroom furniture etc .!!!!!!
Shouldnt it ???

I should think it would be OK, how many joists you got running across? You could I suppose shore up either side of joist if you are really concerned.

I think there are 7 like this about 24 inches apart .It is a quarter of the floor section .All the rest is 100 % fine ,with joists resting fully on rsj,s or into wall at both ends with support from rsj at the centres .
Thanks neds.
Rob.

can you not bolt a large bit off timber in the web to stick out 3 inches to support the bottom edge off the timber with the joists notched out as required to sit on both the joist and timber at the same time!!!!

If you were paranoid you could strengthen the notched joist by fixing another one to it, increasing its reduced strength. If there are only a few it would be no big deal...

Can you bolt a timber bearer to the top of your UB and then use galvanised joist hangers set at the correct level to support the ends of your joists and leave your joists the correct depth without any notches?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back