Cutting perspex

Didnt have router and not experienced either so had a go with circular saw. It didn't need to be a perfect cut. It did the job. Messy and smelly. Smell it through my mask.

20220405_171218.jpg
20220405_171403.jpg

Sponsored Links
Because cut edges of acrylic can be as sharp as a knife, you will need to "safe edge" it in the same way you would with glass. Instead of using diamond abrasives a hard cabinet scraper or even a sanding board with P120 grit sandpaper will knock the sharp edge off

Sponsored Links
Regarding fence post I got old ones out with breaker but the bottom part of hole was a tight fit. Better if had more space around for cement (but cemented it now and it's Rick's down there) so possibly the post isn't as strong as it could be. Would another bag of postcrete at the top help or concrete (ballast) left to set?

The water wasn't held at all as it's basically in rocks and water just drained away instantly, consequently used a bin liner at the bottom and added small amounts of water at a time with postcrete in stages.
20220405_182511.jpg
20220405_121805.jpg

If you'd planned it a bit better, in terms of replacing the fence posts (if one is rotten the rest won't be far behind) and altering the spacing to suit then you probably wouldn't have needed to cut the sheets. How are you going to deal with that unsupported butt joint? the sheets should be supported on all 4 edges.

I missed a small but important point before - when you drill and screw the acrylic, drill your holes slightly oversize for the screws, and use hinge cups beneath the screw heads. Countersunk holes won't work well because cracks can propagate from them when the wind takes a hold and vibrates the plastic. Screw cups overcome this

If you'd planned it a bit better...
Ah yes, see we're back to the 6Ps principle again...

BTW did you know that Perspex, Lucite, Atohaas, etc are trade (i.e. company/brand) names like "Hoover" and that the material is acrylic?

Last edited by a moderator:
16492372078472097107663730875919.jpg
I missed a small but important point before - when you drill and screw the acrylic, drill your holes slightly 0versize for the screws, and use hingeb cups beneath the screw heads. Countersunk holes won't work well because cracks can propagate from them when the wind takes a hold and vibrates the plastic. Screw cups overcome this

Ah yes, see we're back to the 6Ps principle again...

BTW did you know that Perspex, Lucite, Atohaas, etc are trade (i.e. company/brand) names like "Hoover" and that the material is acrylic?
Gonna use six inch bolts

I was gonna use biggest metal bit I've got or possibly try a spade or auger bit if hole needs to be wider. Only wide drill bits I have. Hopefully metal bit will do

Last edited:
Use of a hydraulic jack will have that post heaved out in no time. Drill a hole, shove in a steel bar, use some timber as spreaders, then a lifting strop looped around the bar and jack.

Nozzle

I forgot to mention a couple of points in a previous post. Firstly if you need a nice smooth edge it can be achieved by running a blow torch flame gently along it. Secondly are you aware that perspex will bow in sunlight, because it is relatively thick one side warms & expands quicker than the other. It will return flat when cool but you may need to account for this in your mounting of the sheets.

Gonna use six inch bolts
Why? If as I suspect you intend to join two of these pieces butted together on one of those posts I just wonder how much acrylic you'll have left between the hole and the edge once you've drilled a big hole (say 10 or 12mm diameter) to accommodate the square part of the coach bolt, or were you intending to file the files square? What about the need for washers?

I was gonna use biggest metal bit I've got or possibly try a spade or auger bit if hole needs to be wider. Only wide drill bits I have. Hopefully metal bit will do
Tried drilling acrylic yet? Bits need to be sharp, auger bits (which effectively have a chisel edge) or for that matter screw nose bits (like auger bits and at least some of your spade bits you've shown in the past) won't drill it at all - just skid about. Better starting with a small pilot bit then enlarging with something like a step bit if you really need big holes, IMHO. You need a backer behind the acrylic when drilling it

Personally feel that more, smaller screws would be more effective, and that you need some way (e.g. drilled holes) to relieve air pressure

...you may need to account for this in your mounting of the sheets.
Hence the recommendation of slightly oversize screw holes and cup washers - because they work. But coach bolts? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
@JobAndKnock, just a question. Is that circular saw blade fitted correctly? i.e. direction of cut. It looks as though it is cutting down from above, whereas, I am under the idea they should cut from below.

It just doesn't look right to me though I'm willing to admit I may be wrong.

@JobAndKnock, just a question. Is that circular saw blade fitted correctly? i.e. direction of cut. It looks as though it is cutting down from above, whereas, I am under the idea they should cut from below.
Yes, it is correct (are you surprised?) - the saw is a blade left design with the battery holder to the rear

I must admit I did a double take first time I saw it though

Comments all noted, regarding the perspex, I kinda did what the bloke wanted and asked for rather than otherwise.

Used new nail gun- dewalt DCN692 on featheredge - FANTASTIC! Never using my hammer again.

20220406_162257.jpg
20220406_162313.jpg
20220406_162318.jpg
20220406_162520.jpg

Did another little featheredge job using new nail gun with mate. He used setsquare set to four inches and spirit level to keep them spaced out evenly.
20220408_151944.jpg
20220408_151940.jpg
20220408_151928.jpg
20220408_144815.jpg
20220408_132110.jpg
20220408_115612.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back