Perspex strips to stop books falling off thin shelf?

Is that actually a secret door to a hidden room? lol

Yes perspex strips can be used, they can be attached to the wooden frame and shelf to hold your books in.

Sponsored Links
No I still don't get it. o_O

It’s a shelf that lacks depth so it needs help keeping stuff on it, I don’t know how else to explain it :confused::eek:

as the shelves have ends and are perhaps 90% decorative and not in the least practical not sure why you need ends ??
if this is fully design over function then glue or stick with double sided tape to the wall otherwise put a perhaps 7 degree angle on the shelves to hold the books back

The ends add a bit of strength, it was originally just for design but I am hoping the Perspex can make it functional instead.

Yes perspex strips can be used, they can be attached to the wooden frame and shelf to hold your books in.

Thanks :). Do you think 50mm (plus about 5mm for the bracket) would be tall enough to hold books if the shelf was moved occasionally? The Perspex will cost more that the shelf so I want to make sure it’s right.

The glass look stuff will match my stairs but it’s twice the price of the clear stuff
72D4134D-EB02-4049-83E8-38C9339D0ACA.png

Sponsored Links
Some "piano" wire, if you can work out a way to tension it. Or some thin chrome rods (I think they're called gallery rails).

The gallery rails look decent but might cost a bit for 7 lots, good idea though (y)

I just went in Tesco and they have perspex holding all the small milk and milkshake bottles so I think I’m going to give that a try. They were about 5mm but still quite flexible over a meter length.

Why do you want a bookshelf next to the front door? Well, I say bookshelf ....

Did you just have some spare MDF left over?

Just put a whole sheet of perspex (or even safety glass) over the entire door. Otherwise, you're building in redundant functionality.

Easier to keep clean too.

Just put a whole sheet of perspex (or even safety glass) over the entire door. Otherwise, you're building in redundant functionality.

Easier to keep clean too.
And then lay a nice sheet of plasterboard over the lot and paint it to match the wall. Then have a lie down and when you wake up you'll be able to to convince yourself it had all been a bad dream.

I'm thinking of getting a fake fish pond rug like this:
51aMH5P3wnL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Then I can move it around the house to wherever I fancy a fake pond.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back