Long Garage Shelf - Mid Supports Needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I need to maximise the space in my garage and so am thinking about adding one long shelf above the garage door. Roughly 600mm deep by the 2400mm width.

wNzMVXo.jpg

I am aiming to slide my large storage box's between the rafters and generally have it as one large space so ideally want to avoid using supports dropping down midway, although not sure if it is feasible.

For the shelf itself I was thinking Plywood with 2 strong batons on the walls either side. The rear of the shelf can sit on the garage door frame

JjlawiB.jpg

The front side I was wondering if I could get away with a full 2.4m length of wood. Would 50mm x 50mm timber be strong enough across the full width to support the shelving?

I was thinking I could secure it to the batons on the wall with a notch so the height is the same:

dTPUNxz.jpg

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
For the shelf use a couple of builders planks - ply will just bend. Bat straps are handy to hang down from rafters if you want additional support. Yes 50x50 battens each side will be fine, or instead of drilling the wall you could just hang the batten from bat straps from the joists

I would want to fit two, maybe three intermediate supports, along the front edge, hanging down from the rafters, with the rear edge firmly fixed to the batten above the door. Coat-hanger wire can be used at a pinch, for the hangers at the front, if not too much weight is involved.

If you use the door frame it will possibly make the door not fit right.
Fit a new batten above the door frame, screwed to the verticals on the front.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back