Cutting radiator pipes beneath floor level?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed a radiator and need to cap the pipes.

A pair of push fit stop ends will do the job nicely.

For a neat job, I want to cap them beneath the floor.

The pipes have no flex or give so I cannot wiggle them.

I would prefer to not lift up the adjacent floor boards.

Is there a tool that can cut them beneath floor level?

Sponsored Links
If you don't lift the boards how do you expect to get the caps on, even if by some miracle you cut the pipes below board level?

I expect capping the pipes to be OK with a basin wrench and pair of pliars.

Frankly, I would not mind if I left the pipes uncapped forever once sealed in,

If there is a way to cut these fixed pipes below floor level that would be great.

Sponsored Links
if it's a suspended ground floor you might be able to crawl under, accessing from another room

If they are now redundant, you may be able to trace them back to where they enter the room, cut somewhere there, and pull the pipes out from under the floor. Doesn't matter if you mangle them in the process, (provided there's no residue on them), as they're scrap anyway.

In short, no there isn't a tool that will allow you to cut those pipes below the floor level without lifting the flooring.

Do you remember Startrack when captain Kirk would talk to Spok on some sort of hand held device.... 50 years later we have mobile phones that do everything but transport us.

If you can hang on another 50 years I'm sure there will be a tool that will cut and cap pipes without cutting the floor up while sitting in your armchair.. possible via an app on your phone.

If they don’t require capping then just hammer them below the surface.Cut flush with hacksaw blade, or multi tool first, or nip them at base and bent left and right till they snap.

@Pipps if there was such a tool we'd all have one.

I'd be interested to know how you would design a tool for doing this!

While you're at it, could you also invent
PiFi? A lot of my customers seem to think fluid can be transferred from one location to another, without the need for pipes!

That'd be really handy.

Ta (y)

Do you remember Startrack when captain Kirk would talk to Spok on some sort of hand held device.... 50 years later we have mobile phones that do everything but transport us.

If you can hang on another 50 years I'm sure there will be a tool that will cut and cap pipes without cutting the floor up while sitting in your armchair.. possible via an app on your phone.
If 20th century tech is Trek then beam me up. Just use an internal tubing cutter. Ridgid 83240 Cutter: "For trimming tubing below floor level or above the ceiling"
Dang expensive though. Could not justify the cost for a single pipe in my house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back