Cutting skirting on the wall for floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
im going to tile my kitchen floor and one wall has a skirting board. Has anyone got any idea how i can trim of the bottom of the skirting with out taking it off thewall so a floor tile can slip underneath it to give the floor a neat finish?
Many Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
in my experience.... it'll be 1000 times easier to take it off, run it through a table saw, and refit it.

Is there a particular reason why you can take it off?

Why take it off, all you need to do is to cut the tile tight up to the skirting.
I presume you are talking of ceramic or quarry tiles, if so the grout will fill up any gap.

Even easier would be to take off the skirting, lay the tiles and then put the (uncut) skirting back on a bit higher up... this hides any cuts on the tiles, and keeps the height of the skirting looking right

Sponsored Links
I think if only one wall had skirting, I would remove it..Unless the one wall is the only wall visible, due to cabinets, then I would remove the skirt, lay the tile & fix the skirt, no need to cut it..

This is a bit "off the wall" Ha Ha!
However, you might think about replacing the wooden skirting with an upstand of tiling.
People often want floors tiled so that they can be washed etc and water gets into the gap between the skirting and the floor. After a a while it gives off a musty smell and may rot in time.
Just a thought as you will have all the tiling gear about you anyway!
Enjoy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back