Cutting T&G in Scaffold Boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just bought a few (new) scaffold boards for a shed floor as they were massively reduced from their new price (and worked out less than buying T&G that would be half the thickness)

However, I'm not sure whether they will fit together entirely flush (especially if they are going to be prone to shrinkage?), so I'm wondering whether to make a small T&G joint on them.

I have a 1/2" erbauer router that I have used for simple grooves before, but have never used it for anything as "tricky" as this. I'm wondering what the best method/tool to use would be for this, if anyone is able to advise please? Perhaps something like this?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-rebater-bit-31-8-x-13-1mm/45022

FYI, the thickness of the scaffold board is 38mm. Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
What you need for the task is a T&G set, like these. The problem is that on 38mm thick your tongue should, by rights, be about 12 or 13mm thick (1/3 of the thickness) and all the sets I've ever seen for routers aren't designed to handle more than 25mm (in any case the amount of power required would be way too high - more in the league of a proper spindle moulder), so I think that you'll be better off considering grooving the abutting edges and inserting a loose tongue of plywood - 1/2in ply should do. For that it should be possible to use a 13mm plywood groover such as this one for which you'll need to be able to rip down an offcut of 12mm ply to circa 16 or 20mm wide. You might be able to get away with rebating top and bottoms of alternative abutting edges, but scaffolding planks being what they are I doubt that they will be sufficiently straight and flat for the two edges to lay properly together, In any case you will need to get the straightest, flattest boards you can for this job

Shed floors just need a sheet or osb or ply for the floor, cheaper than boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back