Cutting the bath tap holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut the two holes for the bath taps in an acrylic bath.

I take it you drill a hole a little larger than the tails? If they are 26mm diameter - how much bigger would you go - 28mm?

Just been looking through my tools.

I have a variety of the flat cutters for cutting holes through wood - are these suitable?

I only have one hole cutter and it was one I purchased specifically for putting the vents in my soffits so far too big - not sure if it easier just to buy a hole cutter that will fit this?

Sponsored Links
Get a hole cutter - as close to the tail diameter as you can (depending on the design of the tap(s) they may give you more or less margin for error). Don't try a flat bit - they aren't accurate or strong enough.

Thanks, the taps give a fair amount themselves to cover a hole but there is an O ring built into the bottom of the tap which I take it seals the tap to the bath edge - this doesn't give much room for error. I take it the O ring seals from above then the rubber washer goes below, with the plastic nut screwing up to this?

So a 26mm hole saw would be best?

The taps are standard sized 26mm outer diameter tails - 180mm distance between tail centres.

Sponsored Links
As NewB says, definitely use a hole cutter tho i'd give myself a couple of mill to play with, when it comes to fitting to pipework, lining up etc. mark the centre of the bath 1st from the drain/overflow and up, and work from that.

Where the rubber washer goes is open to debate :sneaky: I don't trust the little O rings to seal to the top of a bath though, I have spare thin washers that sit between the bath and the tap, and the tiniest smidging of silicone on either side to give a little more longterm grip. I have never seen the point of a rubber washer below, they degrade over time and then the tap can loosen IME.

Thanks - looking at holesaws - I seem to have the choice of 25mm or 29mm.

I don't have the drain or overflow to work from as they are on the side of the bath and the taps are going on the end of the bath. Will stick some masking tape on and find the centre point then work out from there - making sure I give enough flat underneath for the nut to screw on.

I take it I should go with the 29mm holesaw as it will give a little room to play. The internal diameter of the O ring is 37mm - so should give plenty of room for error.

Picked up a set of holesaws today - will have a go shortly at drilling the holes.

Thanks

All went perfectly - test fitted the taps but have removed them again to tile behind.

Thanks again for the help - it was one of those jobs I didn't want to get wrong!

Too late now but always allow for tiles when positioning the holes

Too late now but always allow for tiles when positioning the holes

I've allowed for them but figured it would be easier to tile the portion behind before putting the taps on properly.

Yes and silicone as well as its a barsteward to get the nozzle in behind the taps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back