Cutting the bottom of skirting in situ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The other half fancies traditional boards for the bedroom; the old boards are a bit naff so I've been looking at salvage. Our existing boards are 15/16mm deep, but most of the reclaimed boards are 20/22 up to 30.

Our original skirting is not going to come off without taking half the wall with it, so I figured I could cut the required depth out.

What would be my best bet, a multitool sliding along a piece of wood the required depth?

Sponsored Links
Sorry it's been a long day at work , I'm not sure what you mean by cut the required depth out?

Poor wording on my part no doubt. Basically the skirting has about 1-2mm clearance with 16mm boards, so I'll need to remove 4/5mm from the bottom to allow for slightly thicker replacements.

I saw someone using a tool similar to a mini circular saw with depth and height adjustment.
He said it was a dedicated tool.
It had a clutch which slipped if blade got jammed.
It cut a 3x3m room skirting in 5 minutes.

Sponsored Links
I wonder if that might have been a jamb saw. They're not overly cheap and I would probably never need it again. That's why I wondered if a multitool might do the job. No don't own one, but it would be useful in the future.

Not saying this is the way to do it, but as an alternative....

Couldn't you use a router on the board lips, along where they need to go under the skirting?

Cheers guys; I had no luck finding jamb or undercut saw hire, but it looks like a door trimmer is the same tool?

It might be worth acquiring a sheet of hardboard and ripping it into 2x 8 lengths
Then lay that to the floor to act as a slide for the saw. Depends on your floor. The saws have a heavy base to act as a stable sliding base but if the floor is wonky a bit of hardboard will allow the saw to slip easily and cost bugger all.

lets hope none of your upstairs walls are built on the floors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back