Cutting up (and getting rid of) a cold water storage tank in the loft.

OK, we'll start off with the snips.

Remember the installer suggested angle grinder? that wouldn't bounce, but I'm thinking it'll melt it.

I did say he also mentioned a reciprocating saw. As I said I've never owned one and only used one once or twice. I almost pressed the BUY button earlier on a Clearance Bosch mains 710 watt recip. saw. but keep thinking I'm getting to be of the age where I'm doing less work and might hardly ever use it.

Sponsored Links
OK, we'll start off with the snips.

Remeber the installer suggested angle grinder? that wouldn't bounce, but I'm thinking it'll melt it.
Angle grinder with a diamond disc (tile or brick cutting) works well on plastic- bit noisy but no chips cos the cut gets warm. Enjoy :)

Sponsored Links
By friggin magic, Bernie. How do think it got up there? Perhaps it was a miracle.

I've asked you in the past to ignore my posts and not to reply to them ... and I'll be pleased if you abided by my request.

Likely the tank got up there through the loft hatch opening.
Likely it will come down the same way without cutting it up.
Get all the water out and soaked up with old towels first.

But any sharpish hand saw would cut through it.
A jigsaw would do but wear hearing protection and low speed to avoid spreading the cut particles.

Reminds me of a Victorian house I once had with a big galvanised steel tank someone had left up there that I wanted to remove to make the space usable, scared of fire I resorted to a club hammer and bolster, bloody noisy and took a long time!!

I had an large old water tank (plastic), I had to cut it as it did not fit through the hatch.
I presume when the bathroom ceiling was replaced with drywall it was shoved up from there.

It looks like a std 50 gallon round tank which are usually 600mm dia.

Probably bigger than the hatch

I took an old galvanised tank out of my loft, I rigged up a pulley and some rope, was letting it down through the hatch and the pulley screw snapped, didn’t half make a bang scarred the sh1t out of the missus.

It looks like a std 50 gallon round tank which are usually 600mm dia.

Probably bigger than the hatch

I took an old galvanised tank out of my loft, I rigged up a pulley and some rope, was letting it down through the hatch and the pulley screw snapped, didn’t half make a bang scarred the sh1t out of the missus.

It's 800 mm wide, 600 mm high. 50 gallon.

The hatch is 600mm x 500mm.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back