Cutting Vinyl Sheet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone
Any advice on this?
Going to be laying some vinyl.
What is the best sort of knife / blade to use for trimming the edges.
Should I use a hooked blade or a standard stanley type?
I presume they are designed for different cutting situations.

Thanks
Granny

Sponsored Links
hook blade on sheet vinyl. straight or concave on tiles. But its more down to personal choice. Or if not fitted before you may want to take a template of area and then transfer onto flooring and use large scissors to cut if not to good at free hand. If you do free hand your best to score with straight blade and then follow through with hook. Also you shouldn't stick down in anyway. Should be loose layed.( unless contract with wheeled items running over it) If you do template you can also use this for cutting out your plywood if laying over floorboards. Use plywood not hardboard.

Thanks
Am I right thinking it is best to cut as vertical down as possible and not with the blade horizontal to the floor?
I've made a thin cardboard template of the room (dog leg with an understairs wall to cut out). I thought I would stick it with masking tape to the Vinyl and cut round it about 4" margin.
Have you ever heard of using a heat gun when fitting Vinyl?
My mate reckons the chap who fitted his used a heat gun - to help bend the Vinyl into the corners perhaps?

G.

Sponsored Links
you should not use a heat gun on any floor! i dont think you understand how to template either. If you can hang fire untill tommorow i will try to explane how to template. Cant do now as on way out for the night.

Hi Everyone
Been busy - thanks for all the advice it helped a lot - the vinyl went like a dream!
I had to cut it in the garden on a large tarpaulin (no room big enough).
Taped the template to the vinyl - cut around. If I'd had a more level surface I could have cut it a lot closer and just dropped it in.
Reckon I would have struggled round the dog leg without the template.
Telepone cutter helped.
Thanks all
G.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back