sheet vinyl seam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

I've been laying industrial grade padded sheet vinyl on our kitchen floor which looks great. With the help of a template I was able to do most of it but have now hit a snag.
The manufacturer said I needed to use a concave blade for the double cut where the seam is to avoid buckling. I tried twice and both times it looked pretty bad. I did a ton of practice runs. All looked terrible. Then I tried switching to a straight blade which went a much better when practicing. Could my concave blades (stanley) be of poor quality?
Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

I am using one of those dolphin knifes btw.

Sponsored Links
Did they mean concave or hooked?
Concave. I used hooked blades elsewhere.

Today I did a cut just simply cutting a straight line and putting the two pieces together. Looked a whole lot better but you can still see the line slightly. They say it's possible to make the seam almost invisible but find it hard to see how that's possible on a bright coloured floor.

On commercial hot welded vinyl you always see the joints, if only because the surface texture is different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back