CV Boot Split All Way Around After Less Than 6 Months!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle is 2004 Fiat Scudo 2.0 JTD van. Was looking under my van earlier to check something, and noticed the CV boot I replaced less than 6 months ago has split all the way around, just inboard of the large clip. See yellow line on image for where the split is - please note driveshaft in image isn't mine, just for illustration only. The boot is now in 2 parts.

Why has it failed so soon? I used a Bailcast Universal and stretched it over a cone as I'm not sure about splitting CV joints. I used the ear type clips that came with it and the correct CV ear pliers. Are universal boots rubbish? Are stretch boots rubbish? Are Bailcast rubbish? Is it me - have I done something wrong? To say I'm peed off is putting it mildly! :evil:

This is the one I used -

Sponsored Links
Stretchy bailcast are usually pretty good. I'd certainly expect them to last much longer than the hard rigid type.

They do do different sizes, was yours stretched just a bit too much ?

Edited to add. Was the small inner end fastened too far away? Too much pressure on the boot when turned?

Sponsored Links
I prefer to fit O.E. boots.
The hard rigid genuine original ones on my Toyota when I traded it in at 16 years old were still in perfect condition.
Having said that, I would expect any replacement to last longer than six months.

I'm not a fan of the stretchy cone....I reckon it puts a lot of strain on the boot, even when there's lots of lube.
I prefer to knock off the CV joint, clean it and lube it at the same time.
If I recall, it was only the Citroen Saxo / Peugeot 106 that wouldn't oblige in this way.
John :)

Thanks for all your replies. No, I don't understand this one either. One thing that occurred to me, would it be possible to overtighten the clip? I did tighten it quite well, because I was paranoid about the boot pulling out of the clip like the previous boot kept doing.

I prefer to fit O.E. boots.
The hard rigid genuine original ones on my Toyota when I traded it in at 16 years old were still in perfect condition.
Having said that, I would expect any replacement to last longer than six months.

The one that was on before was only 2 years old and was the rigid, harder plastic type. It was a replacement for the original that lasted approx 18 years. This rigid replacement was fitted by a garage, but it kept pulling out of the large clip. Suppose it's perfectly possible he fitted a boot that was just a little too short, but the hard plastic seemed to have little give in it. It had three large clips in total, before I lost it with it, cut it off, and put on the replacent that has now split after under 6 months.

Why is it always the simplest things that are trying, but something complex like when it went in to have subframe dropped, gearbox out, gearbox reseal, gearbox repairs then reassembly - that go without a hitch? :unsure:

Beginning to think I'll never have a new boot that doesn't doesn't spray CV grease all over the suspension and wheelarch. :(

Last edited:
Look on the bright side. Through bitter experience, I've found that a piece of old blanket is great for taking CV grease off of any surface it attaches itself to. Suspension parts, strut, wheelarch, inside of wheel - it gets it off very well. I'm getting quite a dab hand at cleaning up grease. :(

Just thought I'd pass on the benefit of my vast experience. It isn't just sh*t that sticks to a blanket. :LOL:

Do you remove the driveshaft from vehicle, or remove cv joint with diff end of shaft still in place?
I always leave the shaft on the motor and just remove the joint. Did one on my Golf recently.

Thanks again for the benefit of your experience. Just out of interest, do driveshafts pull out of the diff, or is there something holding it to stop it pulling right out? When I was working on the CV boot and suspension, couple of times the shaft moved out of the diff a bit without anything seeming to hold it in. If I had continued to pull the shaft, would it have just slid out of the diff completely?

First time I let the shaft come out a bit, I didn't notice until I saw a pool of gearbox oil forming on the ground. So as well as clearing this up, I had to top the oil up (as well as the clear up for all the CV grease). :rolleyes: My defence is it's the first time I've ever done anything driveshaft related. More used to rear wheel drive.

On some VAG cars, the driveshafts have a flange coming out of the diff.....the driveshaft can be unbolted from this.
Some driveshafts pull straight out, some have a snap ring ( I called it a slip ring earlier).
If you find this type, a lever similar to a tyre lever jumps them out.
You’ll lose gearbox oil of course, and occasionally the oil seal gets huffy but you normally get away with it.
John

Sponsored Links
Back