cv joints mondeo 2.0litre r reg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,just had nearside outer cv joint done but there is still a knock and a clicking sound.i think its coming from otherside.is it a b**l ache to do yourself.i've a little experience on car diy but is it best left to them at the garage.ps will a little grease do the trick,maybe the joints have run dry due to the ingress of water,i just dont know?your help would be greatly appreciated,thankyou :eek:

Sponsored Links
hi ,are they hard to pack out with grease cause i'm thinkin of doin it meselfs.any advice appreciatemon muchos. :oops:

In my admittedly limited experience CV joints are hard to work on as they require a lot of tools to remove. The problem may be rectifable by packing the joint with grease, but the fact that it needs greasing may indicate that the CV boot (the rubber gaiter that covers the CV joint) is perished, allowing as you say, water ingress. If this is the case, you need to replace the CV boot, which is a real pig of a DIY job. If you get the CV joints done at a garage, you will notice that the labour charge will make up most of the bill. Just thank you lucky stars you have got a Vauxhall Cavalier, the CV joints were notorious on those.

Sponsored Links
Rubber boots are available with a split in them to enable you to put them over the drive shaft. After fitting you glue the split up with a supplied adhesive.

Can't comment on how good they are as I've never tried them.(and wouldn't either) But they are probably OK for just getting through the MOT.

In all fairness if any water or dirt has got inside the boots the CV's will be knackered.

wouldn't trust CV boots with an already manufactured split in them, that sounds like a real botch. Have to agree though that if water / dirt have got into the joint, then there is a good possibility that the CV joint itself is b*ggered. Still maintain though that repacing a CV joint is a PIA or (PITA).

Back