Cyclists should be banned off certain roads

Sponsored Links
Why might we need tax inspectors?
If all taxation was collected as VAT, for instance, its collection would be basically automated.

Sponsored Links
Why might we need tax inspectors?
If all taxation was collected as VAT, for instance, its collection would be basically automated.
Even if we didn't have tax men, they'd find something else to spend their (our) money on. Or maybe they'd give themselves a big pay rise to congratulate themselves on saving us some money.

Because the basis of the Treasury is not to collect what it needs, but to screw as much as possible out of the population.
For what purpose?

Value Added Tax at 20% is also charged on the price of the fuel (at the pump), and on the duty on that fuel.

So, a tax is levied on a duty.

Similarly done with charging VAT on import duty.

Why, if not to increase tax take?

And if you look at the way VED is charged these days, it is based (largely) on emissions, classic vehicles excepted.

With this in mind, do you not think that even if cyclists were made to display a VED, they would be exempt on the basis of zero, or negligible, emissions?

Road tax doesn't pay for roads anyway.

Fair enough.

So why do we motorists have to pay it?
As you well know, part of the tax ends up being spent on roads.

Roads don't grow on trees you know ;)

Ah, so it IS to pay for roads.

Why don't cyclists have to pay it then? :mrgreen:

Well, apart from the fact you ignored my rebuke to that.

A motorist who decides to cycle, reduces road wear and traffic congesction.

The "pay your way" argument, means cyclists should get a rebate.

Road tax doesn't pay for roads anyway.

Fair enough.

So why do we motorists have to pay it?
As you well know, part of the tax ends up being spent on roads.

Roads don't grow on trees you know ;)

Ah, so it IS to pay for roads.

Why don't cyclists have to pay it then? :mrgreen:

Well, apart from the fact you ignored my rebuke to that.

Yes, but I was replying to Dex, who assured me that road tax is spent on roads!

A motorist who decides to cycle, reduces road wear and traffic congesction.

The "pay your way" argument, means cyclists should get a rebate.

What about cyclists who do not drive?

Anyway, as I drive very little these days (since retirement), how come I don't get a rebate?

And if you look at the way VED is charged these days, it is based (largely) on emissions, classic vehicles excepted.

With this in mind, do you not think that even if cyclists were made to display a VED, they would be exempt on the basis of zero, or negligible, emissions?

Why not base it on mileage as well as emissions? As I said above, I drive very little these days, so shouldn't I receive a rebate for not emitting emissions?

However, my opinion is that cyclists should display some form of identification (for reasons I've given before) and pay for its administration. Nothing to do with emissions or wear on the roads.

They still likely pay income tax, council tax, VAT, NI, Duties. Seeing as how a bike license won't cost more than a tenner (which will then cost more money to administer), what problem does it solve?

Anyway, as I drive very little these days (since retirement), how come I don't get a rebate?

For the same reason I didnt get a rebate when the police failed to show up or my bins were not emptied, what taxes you pay has nothing to do with what you get.

However, my opinion is that cyclists should display some form of identification (for reasons I've given before) and pay for its administration.

I also want a unicorn, not ever going to get one though.

Yes, but I was replying to Dex, who assured me that road tax is spent on roads!
Oi! Don't overplay this one ;)

Roads are paid for from the public coffers. The coffers are filled in part from road tax or whatever you like to call it. Therefore, it follows that roads are partly paid for by road tax :)

Personally I'd like to see purpose built cycleways across as much of the UK as possible, paid for by levies (and I'm not referring to jeans here :LOL: ) from the sale of new bikes and bike accessories. Am sure that I read of somewhere setting up a toll cycleway somewhere, which could be another option.

They still likely pay income tax, council tax, VAT, NI, Duties. Seeing as how a bike license won't cost more than a tenner (which will then cost more money to administer), what problem does it solve?

So do I. It doesn't reduce my road tax, though.
A bike licence should cost at least enough to cover its administration.

For the same reason I didnt get a rebate when the police failed to show up or my bins were not emptied, what taxes you pay has nothing to do with what you get.

But if I drove an electric car I'd pay less.

However, my opinion is that cyclists should display some form of identification (for reasons I've given before) and pay for its administration.

I also want a unicorn, not ever going to get one though.

I don't know about your unicorn, but I have a feeling that identification plates for cyclists might just happen. All it takes is enough arrogant lycra-clad cyclists to cause enough accidents and then b u g g e r off before someone somewhere will see the sense in it.

Sponsored Links
Back