cylinder stat accuracy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

after changing to c plan, i set my cylinder stat to 60 degrees. its a honeywell stat and was brand new. I noticed that the water at full temp never seemed to be HOT HOT, just hot, but i could just about hold my hands under it. i measured the temp with a digital thermometer and its only at 50 degrees although the stat is clicking on/off at 60 according to its scale. is it usual for them to be inaccurate like this?

to achieve 60 i have set it to 70 on its scale.

Sponsored Links
Where abouts on the cylinder has the stat been placed and does it have good thermal contact with the cylinder?

Ideally the stat should be placed a third of the way up the cylinder and set to 55C.

A level of inaccuracy will occur but it should not be that great.

All stored water should be kept to at least 65C to prevent bacterial growth.

it is 1/3 of the way up. i measured the cylinder before installing the stat.

it has good thermal contact with the cylinder, i would have thought if it did not, then the inaccuracy would occur the opposite way, i.e the water inside would be hotter than the stat sensed

Depending on the lenght of run and insulation you will lose about 5 degrees from tank to outlet.

Pete

Sponsored Links
to the outlet in the bathroom its about 1 meter, to the kitchen its about 15 meters

i would have thought the heat loss in 1m was negligible?

after changing to c plan, I set my cylinder stat to 60 degrees. it's a Honeywell stat and was brand new.
The Honeywell L641A has a temperature differential (difference between open and closed) of 10C. They are not designed to be highly accurate, so if you have to set yours to 70C to get a water temperature of 60C at the tap, don't worry. In any case you don't wash in water at 60C, more likely 35-40C. The only reason for storing the water at a higher temperature is to kill Legionella and other nasties; for this you need a temperature about 60C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back