Overheating cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a water cylinder in my shed that I heat up and then pump the water around a coil in another container to heat oil.

The cylinder stat inside the cylinder heater keeps tripping. Done a bit of research and I think the water is getting too hot. The stat inside the heater is set to 60 degrees.

I thought the answer would be to wire a cylinder stat that straps to the cylinder and wire it to the heater so that it switches the heater off when it gets to 55 deg c.

Appreciate any advice on how to wire it. Thanks.

Trevor

Sponsored Links
you say you have a hot water cylinder, with an immersion heater that is overheating past the setting on the thermostat.

So you need a new thermostat for the immersion heater. It is a replaceable part. Easy.

Post some pics of the immersion heater cap and inside, for a better idea, as it sounds like you might have a non-standard installation.

A cheaper answer would be to replace the thermostat in your immersion heater (assuming you are using the immersion heater in the cylinder). Those strap-on cylinder stats are not designed to switch the sort of current an immersion heater draws- you'd need a relay.

Thanks. I'll post a pic tomorrow. Wondering then if its a different problem than the thermostat not working properly. Its fairly new.

Sponsored Links
Found the problem I think. Trapped air at the top of the tank (immersion is in the top). Sorted. Thanks for your replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back