Dam this damp..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

A month ago one of my internal walls started to show signs of damp (high up on the wall, not rising)

I've been informed by the landlord that a number of months ago, water was coming off the kitchen roof and hitting the external brickwork (for some time before the problem was rectified) however, the damage was done and now the external bricks are wet through and hence this is causing the problem on the internal wall. The external bricks are drying out as nature takes it's course, however it doesn't get much sunlight and hence this will take sometime to dry out.

We put a dehumidifier in the room for a few days and this drew out a good few pints of water. We hoped that might do the job so sealed the wall with a Polycell Damp seal, then gave it a few coats of mag.

It's now showing what looks like water stains coming back through the internal wall in certain areas and there is a musty/damp smell in the room.

I'm thinking sealing and painting it wasn't a good idea after all however was hoping that would do the trick!

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated. Moving out of course is an option but apart from this particular problem it's a great room in great house!

Cheers, Dan.

Sponsored Links
Natural drying is the only way. Dehumidifiers are next to useless for trying to dry walls like this. It will simply take water from the atmosphere which will be endlessly replaced. You could run the thing forever and it won't do much to the wall. Saturated walls will dry at a rate of about 25mm per month. Sealing is not a good idea - just leave it is best. Are you absolutely certain the source has been cured?

Thanks for the reply John.

I've been assured by the landlord that the source of the problem has been dealt with (the angle of the kitchen roof was incorrect and water was cascading on to the bricks) New guttering has been put up also and it's now just a case of letting the bricks dry out

One other point to mention is that some of the affected bricks are trapped within the kitchen extension if you know what I mean. Meaning the bricks aren't visible from the outside.

With this in mind, I am right in thinking the only way for the moisture to escape would be through the wall and into room that I'm in?

Cheers, Dan.

Moisture will always find a way out eventually. The position of the brcks and the fact that you sealed the interior won't help but it will get there in the end.

Sponsored Links
Depending wall plaster/render s on the wall is a big factor!
By the sounds of your landlord things could have been done on the cheap or badly done!
If theres bonding plaster it will never dry out!
I suggest you make a small hole and check out whats under the finish plaster.

Once plaster has had a good soaking, it tends to get hygroscopic - that is to say salts exuded by the drying process absorb more moisture from the air.

This leads to what appears to be continual damp and staining

The best thing to do is replaster the area.

The landlord should be doing this as part of his repair of the problem, and paying for redecorating too

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm looking into the points you have made and have spoken with my landlord.

I'm also looking for a new place as whatever the outcome, it appears it will be sometime before it is totally rectified.

Thanks again for the replies, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back