Small Damp Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope this is in the correct section!

We currently have a small damp problem on the external wall of our living room. This is limited to the very corner of the room.

Symptoms
We don't see rising water (marks on internal walls) but see mold growth (Black specs) and the solid wood flooring directly against the subject wall showing signs of rot.
We have an unusually high number of insects (spiders, woodlouse etc) in the living room.
The driveway also slopes toward the corner of the house.
Due to not having a tumble drier we dry clothes on the radiator in winter.
The damp is much worse in the winter or immediately after it rains.

Personal Thoughts
Before we moved in there was a new drive laid on top of the existing concrete drive way. The external floor by the corner currently subject to this damp is about 2 inches above the internal floor. My estimations suggest that as the external floor level falls below the internal floor level the damp stops.

We don't have any damp anywhere else apart from here.

My question is, would removing and lowering the outside floor level relaying it in a way that does not slope towards the house elevate the problem?

Sponsored Links
From your description of the new driveway it sounds like the DPC has been breached. That should have been picked up in a survey before you moved in.

Solution - lower the driveway to at least 6" below the DPC then deal with the damage to structure and decor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back