Damage to boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

If I run the boiler on a low pressure (0.5 bar) whilst I get round to changing the pressure relief valve will it do the boiler any damage?

Ta

Sponsored Links
HI

it should be ok but why would you want to do that ?turn the boiler off while you carry out any work.be safe.:cool:

changing the prv with half a bar pressure in the system will be an interesting experience.
if you even entertain this idea, i would recommend you hire a pro to do it for you

I think he means run it at .5 bar untill the PRV is changed. :cool:

Sponsored Links
ah, could well be.
in that case, running a boiler with a known leak is never a good idea

The situation is that i think the PRV is leaking as i opened it when i removed the SHE to clean it with ds3.

I think this is the cause of my losing pressure as there is water coming from the pipe outside the house.

I will drain the system before i replace the valve.

Is it easy to replace the valve?

Ha Ha Ha.

I remember reading 'don't start working on something important at 10pm on a saturday night in case it all goes wrong cos you won't get a call out at that time'.

Well, i started working on this at 11am on a saturday morning. No problem i thought, will be able to get a new PRV at the big plumbing shop at the end of the road - City Plumbing ( the trade outlet where I have never managed to get what i wanted every time i have been in there before!!!)

Well i turned up at 11.45am having walked there and guess what! You got it! 'Sorry mate, don't keep them, try plumb centre, better run though!' :evil: :LOL:

So i've got a boiler with no new PRV to put on it! At the moment the old one is sitting in a solution of DS3, just for the hell of it, nothing to lose so might as well give it a soak for an hour and then put it all back together till Monday when i can get a new one. Assuming that is that the old one won't be OK still even after a clean (like I even need to ask!!!)

ps - when i asked if it was easy job i hadn't really looked to see that it is just a case of two nuts - sorry :oops:

Parts Center would be the place, not Plumb Center.
I just looked them up, judging by the logo they're the same people. Either way they're right next door to each other. Ta.

Trying to put the PRV back on i managed to thread the screw on the inlet side. I thought i was buggered but i've managed to bodge it with a bit of ptf. yeehah!

The valve looked pretty good after my little clean, so i'm just waiting to see if anything leaks now. I'm not holding my breath though!

You should have used DS40 anyway unless it was lime scale on the DHW side.

You would not have to look far on this site to see that you should not drain a boiler with a PRV !

Tony

Just a little update

This morning after filling up my system to 1.5bar yesterday I have lost no pressure.

I don't want to say it in case I tempt fate, so I won't say it but you get the idea. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back