Damaged cast iron soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think my old cast iron soil pipe may be damaged at the point at which it goes underground. The reason I say this, is because I had the floorboards up recently and I noticed that the base of my external wall and the floor are damp also, the section of wall closest to where the soil pipe is sited is constantly very wet, (sorry did try taking pics but they didn’t come out very well due to limited space, rad pipes, cables etc).

I’m thinking of hiring a Kango drill in a couple of weeks to open up some of the patio, with a view to replace any damaged sections of pipe. My question is this, if that the stack is damaged at the joint / bend where it joins the clay pipe, then what sort of connectors do I need to renew this section, given that I’ll be connecting the old cast iron pipe to the newer plastic fittings. I’ve been into the local DIY store and all the drainage fittings appear to be 110mm, and I can’t see how any of these fitting would accommodate a cast iron pipe. Hope this all makes sense. :confused:

Sponsored Links
you need a fernco ( or similar) connector - black rubber with 2 big jubilee clips round it - tightens onto different sized pipes . The iron will be ok - it`ll be the clay that`s broken :idea:

You need to see if the drain it discharges into is blocked and how far below ground the invert level is.

Even if there is a leak in the cast iron below ground its would usually not cause much of a problem if the drain is free flowing as there would be no back pressure to create much leakage.

Obviously you need to check the nearest inspection chamber to see if there is any obvious blockage. If not then flush a toilet and see if the water flows freely through the inspection chamber.

When you have exposed the underground cast iron pipe, if there is no obvious leak then you would need to block the inlet to the inspection chamber and fill the pipe with water to see if that identifies any leakage.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Its always agood idea to repair any damaged sewers,raw sewage can cause all sorts of diseses and you do not want to contaminate any ground under your house.

Ideally dig out and find the leak make sure you wear good quality rubberised builders gloves and make sure if you have any cuts they are covered properly

A rubber transition coupling is available and i suggest you use one to change over to plastic pipe or a local repair

good luck

Good point about the gloves :idea: I`m Old Skool so I built up immunity - never did eat the last corner of my sarni , where I held it ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back