Damaged Core - what to do ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've slightly damaged the live core of some SWA. All terminated successfully, but ended up slightly nicking the brown core. Not deep enough to penetrate through to the copper.

For now I've just covered it with insulating tape.

Any recommendations ?

Sponsored Links
Sorry - I didn't provide enough info.

The issue is inside the junction box where it terminates in the garage. I have used a plastic enclosed box to terminate the SWA, which then runs T&E tails to the CU in the garage.

Is it acceptable to just sleeve it, and not use heatshrink. It is the LIVE core.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I certainly have. Thanks to the wiki pages on this site, and some practice with some off cut of cable. I earthed the armour from source (house) via a fly lead to the earthing block, and at the destination point (garage) aswell by joining the earth from the T&E. (No Gas/Water in the garage).

So you used

TLC20.JPG

or

PRPEN20.JPG

As for the cut in sleeve, tape will suffer from wet and heat weathering and will fail.

I'd use a 2 part glue / expxy and butter that in and around the damage.

The other alternative (and best) would be to pull some slack and re-do the split and term 4" down the cable. That does depend on spare / slack being available.

I used the top one. Crimped the earth cable and bolted it into the hole.

Thanks for the advice. I do have some slack, but that's last chance slack, and if i mess that up, i really am stuffed !

Good work :LOL:

If the bolt is exposed to the weather, a tiny bit of grease / vaseline on it will help stop it oxidising.

could it be easier to move the adaptable box and extend the T and E that way you can find more slack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back